University of South-Eastern Norway has about 18 000 students and about 1500 employees. The university is organized in four faculties, with instruction and R&D activities on eight campuses. The main profile of the university is to provide socially relevant education, geared towards specific professions, and adapted to the requirements of the workplace, as well as to produce applied research and development.
Associate Professor in Systems Engineering
The Faculty of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences has a vacant permanent position as associate professor in Systems Engineering.
The position is attached to the Department of Science and Industry systems and reports to the Head of Department. The place of employment is Kongsberg.
Kongsberg is the Norwegian center of high-tech with global players within Maritime, Oil & Gas, Defense, Aerospace, Energy, and Automotive. These companies operate in the global knowledge intensive industry where products are designed, engineered, and manufactured, applying Systems Engineering to realize their offerings. The industrial ecosystem in Kongsberg is exceptional in its breadth of scope and depth of technologies, a clear benefit for professionals who believe in strong university-industry collaboration. Kongsberg is also the geographical heart of Subsea Valley, an industry cluster with more than 240 partners driving the global subsea industry.
Systems Engineering is the core discipline of our MSc-program and presents a highly attractive competence for our Industry Partners. We are amidst establishing our research program, which is founded on systems engineering and positioned towards the industry needs to cope with disruptive technologies, innovation and new business models. We do R&D collaboration with Stevens Institute of Technology and Stanford University. Systems Engineering, systems architecting, lean product development, and human-centered design are key areas of focus for our research.
At present, we have 120 master students under education, and the number will grow to about 200 within the next years. Our Department consists of 60 full-time and part-time professionals including the administration, of which about a third are related to the Systems Engineering field. Most of our staff in the System Engineering field have 10-20 years of industry experience in addition to their academic career.
As the number of research projects and the students within Systems Engineering increases, we are seeking an experienced systems engineer.
Responsibilities and duties
- Participation in the development of our Systems Engineering and systems architecting curriculum (i.e. electives) together with the global technology industry.
- Teaching graduate level fundamentals of Systems Engineering and/or architecture and design courses.
- Supervision of master projects.
- Develop and deliver corporate training as requested by our industry partners.
- Establish an R&D portfolio for the application of SE within a variety of domains together with our international research partners.
- Undertake R&D assignments, co-supervise Ph.D. candidates, and publish results in relevant journals.
- Teach in-company courses and do consultancy for our Industry Partners.
The position may be assigned teaching at all levels in the departments programs. The position may also be assigned teaching at other departments within University of South-Eastern Norway.
The successful candidate is expected to have;
- Higher education and the applicants must hold a Norwegian doctorate within the relevant field; or an equivalent foreign doctoral degree approved as equivalent to a Norwegian doctorate; or qualifications at the same level documented by research production of equivalent scope and quality.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience from the global technology industry; the broader the experience, in terms of years and of responsibilities held, the better.
- Team working capability and good communication skills.
- Working proficiency in English language. Proficiency in Norwegian is a plus.
- Must have minimum a postgraduate degree.
Teaching experience is desirable, but not required. Candidates with little teaching experience will develop teaching skills through mentoring. Participation in structured in-company training programs is also welcomed. Publications in relevant journals and/or presentations in relevant symposia are also desirable, but not a pre-requisite.
The staff at the faculty work within subject teams to a large extent, and the candidate must be motivated to share his or her knowledge and cooperate. Personal suitability for the position will be emphasized.
To be appointed as an associate professor (førsteamanuensis), applicants must hold a Norwegian doctorate within the relevant field; or an equivalent foreign doctoral degree approved as equivalent to a Norwegian doctorate; or qualifications at the same level documented by research production of equivalent scope and quality.
To be appointed as an associate professor (førstelektor), applicants must be able to document extensive research and development work that in quality and scope are equivalent to the workload and level of a doctoral dissertation. Special qualifications in teaching or other educational activities will be emphasized.
If no qualified applicants apply for a permanent position as associate professor (førsteamanuensis/førstelektor), a temporary three-year appointment may be made if the expert committee consider that the person selected will be able to acquire the necessary qualifications to be appointed to the position as associate professor within the first three years of employment. A new expert assessment will be completed by the end of this period.
Applicants should possess pedagogical competence involving at least a half-year Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, or a shorter university college pedagogy course, and a minimum of one year’s teaching experience. Applicants who do not possess such pedagogical qualifications may be employed on the condition that they acquire such qualifications within three years of the date of their employment.
We can offer
- Permanent position at our Kongsberg, Norway campus.
- Exciting work environment with enthusiastic colleagues.
- Colleagues with academic and industrial experience.
- Strong interaction with the global competence industry in Kongsberg and abroad.
- Great opportunities for skills development.
- A continuously growing academic organization with strong ties to industry.
- Favorable pension scheme (special rules for foreign applicants).
Associate professor (førsteamanuensis) (code 1011) and associate professor (førstelektor) (code 1198): NOK 527 500 – 722 400 a year. Salary placement depending on seniority. In special cases, higher salary may be considered. A statutory contribution will be made from the employee’s salary to the state pension plan.
The Academic Appointments Board is responsible for appointments to academic positions at University of South-Eastern Norway. An expert committee will evaluate the applications. On the basis of the committee’s recommendations, short-listed applicants will be called in for interviews and must be prepared to give a practice lecture.
The successful applicant must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply to the position.
As an equal opportunities employer we welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status. All appointments are made on merit.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information act § 25 2 paragraph, information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, even though the applicant has requested non-disclosure. The applicant will be informed if his/her request has been declined.
For further information concerning the position please contact administrative manager SE Program, Silja M. Sverreson, mobile +47 93 25 40 77, Professor Gerrit Muller +31 6 10 45 84 04 or Head of Department Olaf H. Graven mobile +47 95 85 10 10 at the Faculty of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences, Department of Science and Industry systems.
How to apply
University of South-Eastern Norway uses online applications. We therefore ask applicants to register their application and CV online by clicking on the “Send application” link to the right. The application must include the following document:
- Certified diplomas, certificates and transcripts
- List of works and descriptions of these
- Academic publications (up to 10 for associate professor)
- List and documentation of pedagogical qualifications
- Names and contact information of three referees
Please note that all documents must be in English. In order to be fully evaluated for the position all applicants must upload their application with relevant attachments in our electronic recruiting system (Jobbnorge) within the application deadline.
- Søknadsfrist1. mars 2019
- ArbeidsgiverUniversitetet i Sørøst-Norge
- ArbeidsstedCampus Kongsberg
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - Universitetet i Sørøst-Norge
- Ledige stillinger - Ingeniøryrker
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Buskerud