The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position at the Department of Administration and Organization Theory
There is a vacancy for a postdoc position at the Department of Administration and Organization Theory, University of Bergen, linked to research within the field of multilevel governance. The position is for a period of 4 years, 25% of which must be dedicated to teaching, supervision and administrative tasks at the Department.
About the project/work tasks
The postdoc position will be affiliated with the projected Panel of Public Administrators (Norsk forvaltningspanel, NFP). A central assignment of the postdoc is to be a key participant in the development of the NFP. During the development phase, it is expected that the postdoc will cooperate closely with different stakeholders located at various universities and research institutes. When the NFP is up and running, it is expected that the postdoc will publish her/his work on the basis of data collected through the panel.
The NFP is planned as part of the DIGSSCORE infrastructure. (For more information about DIGSSCORE, see https://digsscore.uib.no/). The panel will be recruited from a base of public administrators at all levels of government — national, regional, local. The recruitment strategy builds upon the experiences of the unique Central Administration Survey, which has been fielded to central government officials every ten years since 1976. NFP will target all officials in ministries and a sample of officials in public organizations. With the establishment of the NFP, the first steps will be to identify and recruit participants, conduct the necessary data protection preparations with the aim of making NFP permanent, as well as establishing a model for national time-sharing. Data collection will be executed twice annually.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
The applicant must
- Hold a PhD within political science/public administration or similar. As a minimum, the applicant must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Be qualified in social science methods. Experience with panel data and/or comprehensive data sets is an advantage.
- Be able to do outreach from the project to decisions makers outside academia.
- Contribute to international network building in the field of multilevel governance research.
- Be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Have an interest in and ability to communicate research to practitioners and policy makers
- Have ability to raise funding for research.
- Have proficiency in both written and oral English.
Potential candidates will be invited for an interview.
Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the teaching and research profile at the Department. The teaching language is Norwegian, one of the Scandinavian languages or English.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 4 years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
A research proposal of 4-5 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should contain a progress plan for the different parts of the research work, as well as a plan regarding publishing. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
A budget must be set up for operating expenses.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 59 – 61 (code 1352) on the government salary scale upon appointment (equivalent to NOK 515 200.- to 534 100 pr. year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The research proposal (4 to 5 pages) with budget.
- A maximum of five publications to be considered in the assessment (co-authored publications must be accompanied by declarations of co-authorship).
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/letters of recommendation.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at www.jobbnorge.no
The application has to be marked with: 18/14146
The closing date is January 31, 2019
Applications sent by e-mail will not be evaluated.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor, Head of Department Jacob Aars.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone +47 55582045.
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to Adviser - HR, Even Michal Endresen
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met. The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
- Søknadsfrist31. januar 2019
- ArbeidsgiverUniversity of Bergen
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Akademisk CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - University of Bergen
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Hordaland