NTNU - kunnskap for en bedre verden
Ved NTNU, Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet, skapes kunnskap for en bedre verden og løsninger som kan forandre hverdagen.
Postdoctoral Fellow in Sociology - the Global Labour in Rural Societies (Glarus) project SU-214
There is a temporary position available at the Department of Sociology and Political Science (ISS) as Postdoctoral Fellow in sociology for a period of 2 years-, without teaching duties. The position as a Postdoctoral Fellow is a fixed -term position with the primary goal of qualifying for work in professional academic chair positions.
The Department of Sociology and Political Science (ISS) is committed to carry out research, teaching and dissemination in sociology, political science, sport science, and media studies. The department has approximately 80 employees and 11 study programmes. ISS is characterised by strong disciplines in social science, with the emphasis on sociology and political science, which contributes to multidisciplinary study programmes and- research at the NTNU. Sociology and political science also influence the department`s sport science and media studies profile.
Work tasks and obligations
This postdoctoral position has been established to work on the project Global Labour in Rural Societies (Glarus). This is a basic research project funded by the Norwegian Research Council (2017-2021) to study the enhanced international migration flows to rural regions in Western societies from the theoretical perspectives of migration theory, labour market theory, and the rural studies tradition. For a full description of the project, see: https://www.ntnu.no/iss/global-labour-in-rural-societies.
The postdoc will chair the international comparative part of the project (WP6), which relies on data from Norway, the UK, and the US (California), with main focus on data analysis and the dissemination of results in high quality international peer reviewed journals.
The position implies substantial travelling to UK and US study locations and participation in international academic fora.
The postdoc is expected to actively contribute to the further development of the NTNU research environment on migration/mobilities.
A Norwegian PhD is required in a relevant field (sociology, migration studies, labour market studies, rural studies, or similarly relevant fields) or an equivalent foreign PhD approved as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD.
- The candidate should be familiar with the sociological tradition and one or more of the following fields of study: migration (transnational) studies, labour market studies, and/or rural (spatial) studies.
- The candidate should be experienced in working with qualitative materials; however, quantitative and/or mixed methods expertise will also be looked upon as favourable.
- Good knowledge of Norwegian, UK, and/or US societies are considered valuable.
- Fluency in English is required. Competences in Spanish, Polish, and/or Norwegian are considered valuable.
- The postdoc will work in dense cooperation with the PI and other members in the Glarus team, particularly partners in the UK and US. The ability to work independently, be solution-oriented, and have flexibility and excellent cooperation skills is required.
Personal qualifications as described and motivation to apply for the position, will be ascribed high importance.
Employment will be activated in accordance with existing regulations of 31.01.2006 with NTNUs supplementary purviews of 17.06.2009.
Salary and Working Conditions
The postdoctor position code 1352 is paid according to the national salary scheme, from gross NOK 515 200 per year, of which 2 % is deducted for the State Pension Scheme.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The employee is expected to accept possible changes in work tasks. Primary residency in Trondheim is a prerequisite.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, disabilities or cultural background. NTNU is an inclusive workplace.
- A professionally stimulating, open and including working environment.
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement.
- Trondheim’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
Application should within deadline include:
- A five page description (project plan) of how the applicant would approach his/her work as the coordinator of the comparative work of the Glarus project, focusing on theoretical approaches and including a dissemination plan. The document should explicitly refer to the Glarus project description (https://www.ntnu.no/iss/global-labour-in-rural-societies), and describe how the applicants' previous scientific work and plans for future career relates to the project.
- A publication list.
- Relevant samples of publications (no more than five).
- A CV with information on education, previous research experience, together with authorized documentation of certificates, diplomas and study records.
These documents should be in English.
Joint scientific work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a joint piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she contributed to the work.
Applicants with a diploma from a foreign university are advised to provide an explanation of the university's grading system. Please note that these documents should be translated in English or in a Scandinavian language.
Information about the applicants may be open to public inspection as provided by the Freedom of Information Act.
Further information about the position is available by sending an email to professor Johan Fredrik Rye (Principal Investigator of the Glarus project): Johan.Fredrik.Rye@ntnu.no.
For information about processing of applications, please contact HR, Sissel Sæther, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An application including attachments should be sent electronically through: www.jobbnorge.no.
The reference number of the position is: SU-214.
Application Deadline : October 1, 2018.
- Søknadsfrist1. oktober 2018
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning