NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Faculty of Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
PhD Position in Robotic Welding of Large Offshore Structures (IV-189/18)
A PhD position is available at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway. The fellowship is a full-full time position for 3 years with the aim to reach the PhD degree at NTNU.
The position will be financed by a project on robotic welding of steel jackets for large offshore structures. This project is funded by the Norwegian Research Council, and the project partners include Kværner, SINTEF and NTNU.
The candidate will investigate methods and technology for the welding of large offshore structures. This includes: Planning of multi-pass welding for complex geometries, the use of sensors for robot calibration and online correction in multi-pass welding. The solutions are to be implemented and tested in a laboratory set-up.
The candidate must have a relevant MSc degree in Mechanical Engineering, preferably with a specialization in robotics or similar with an average grade of B or better according to either NTNU’s or the ECTS grading system.
Applicants need to have excellent presentation and communication skills and fluency in English, both written and oral.
Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree: www.ec.europa.eu/education/tools/diploma-supplement_en.htm
The candidate must have excellent analytical and modeling skills combined with interest and experience in experimental work. The successful applicants are motivated and ambitious students with excellent grades. Proficiency to carry out goal-oriented work, good skills to deliver oral and written presentations of research results (good writing skills in English are essential), and good cooperation abilities will be emphasized.
The PhD candidates will be required to work in Trondheim at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. A statement on when the applicant can start in the position if selected should be supplied.
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated with a gross salary NOK 436.900 before tax deduction. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage. As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
- A good pension scheme
- A favorable housing loan interest
- Good insurance schemes
Applicants for a PhD will have to engage in an organized PhD training program, and appointment in the positions requires approval of the applicants plan and qualifications for the PhD study within three months from the date of commencement of the PhD position. See https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/phd-information and https://innsida.ntnu.no/doktorgrad for more information.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions and female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
The position is of 3 years duration.
The application should contain:
- CV which should include: relevant formal educational background, diploma grade, participation in research projects, work experience, skills and any other relevant experience.
- Certified diploma (note that diploma supplement or similar has to be attached for degrees outside Norway and
- Master diplomas from China have to be verified by CDGDC (http://www.chinadegrees.cn/en/). The certificate is preferred attached or at least ordered by you within application deadline
- Certified grade transcripts and documentation of an average grade of B or better as described above.
- Reference letters.
- Motivational letter of maximum two pages describing why the applicant wants to come to NTNU, the applicant’s view of research challenges within the area of the PhD position and how the applicant´s competence can contribute to solve these challenges.
- Statement of experience with regard to the list of important subject areas mentioned above.
- If applicable, list of publications, conferences presentations and other relevant scientific work
- Proficiency in English, best shown by providing TOEFL scores.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test scores or equivalent would strengthen the application.
For further information about the position, please contact:
Professor Olav Egeland, email@example.com
Applications should be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Mark the application with ref.no IV-189/18
Anticipated commencement: To be agreed with the Department.
Application deadline: 22 June 2018
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
- Søknadsfrist22. juni 2018
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- ArbeidsstedDep. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Ingeniøryrker
- Ledige stillinger - Offentlige tjenester / Forvaltning
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning