The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Temporary full-time position as Postdoctoral Fellow in Bioinformatics/Molecular Biology at the Department of Clinical Science
A temporary full-time position as postdoctoral fellow is available at the Section of Oncology, Department of Clinical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Bergen, for a period of four (4) years. The position is funded through a 4-year grant from the K.G. Jebsen Research Foundation and is part of the new K.G.Jebsen Center for Genome-Directed Therapy in Cancer.
About the project/work tasks
- The postdoctoral fellow will be employed at the new K.G. Jebsen Center, headed by Professor Per Eystein Lønning. In addition to the center leader, the center has five PI’s, working with research projects related to different cancer types. As a team we try to perform science at supreme quality, with publications in high-impact journals. Thus, the position suits a candidate with high personal ambitions. The research team is closely affiliated with the Department of Clinical Oncology, Haukeland Universiy Hospital, Bergen. The center focuses on solid tumours in general, with main emphasis on breast cancer, colorectal cancer and sarcoma. The primary aim of our program is to explore mechanisms of chemoresistance and endocrine resistance and identify predictive markers to cancer therapy. For this purpose, we employ the full spectrum of molecular analyses, including next generation sequencing (NGS). The work place for the post doc will be within the Mohn Cancer Research laboratory in Bergen. The laboratory is equipped with state of the art infrastructure for molecular cancer research, including sequencing platforms. The scientific program for the post doc will focus on analysing NGS data (primarily whole exome (WES) and whole genome sequencing (WGS) and to a lesser extent targeted sequencing) from human tumour specimens versus clinical outcome within our translational research programs. Alternatively, for a candidate holding a PhD in molecular biology, with broad experience in NGS, a project related to experimental cancer research, complementary to our translational research program, can be discussed.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The candidate must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within either bioinformatics or molecular biology or a closely related area.
- The candidate should document experience in applied statistics (statistical methods within translational cancer research) and either experience in analysing large data sets from cancer patients or profound experience in molecular biology techniques.
- The candidate must have a publication track record relative to the stage of his/her career.
- Familiarity with commonly applied algorithms of relevance analysing cancer data sets, with particular emphasis on NGS data, will be considered an advantage. (hereunder, algorithms for variant calling, copy number calling, identification of subclones etc.) Alternatively, for a candidate in molecular biology, emphasis will be put on profound experience with respect to gene sequencing techniques and gene expression profiling.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- The candidate should be proficient in both written and oral English and / or the Norwegian language.
If further details are needed, please e-mail: Senior Scientist Stian Knappskog or Senior Scientist Hans P. Eikesdal at email@example.com (label the e-mail with job application number) or use our website: http://www.uib.no/en/rg/g18#
We can offer
- A good and challenging work environment
- Salary level 57 (code 1352/pay framework 24.1) at present NOK 490 900 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 59 (code 1352/pay framework 24.3) at present NOK 508 800 gross p.a., with a medical specialization level 61 (code 1352/pay framework 24.5) at present NOK 527 500 gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position. A pension contribute of 2 % will be deducted and deposited to the state pension scheme. In the case of highly qualified applicant, a higher salary may be considered.
- A good pension scheme in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Inclusive workplace (IW)
- Good welfare benefits
For more information regarding what the University of Bergen can offer its employees please visit: http://www.uib.no/en/poa/74243/what-can-university-bergen-offer-its-employees
About postdoctoral fellowships
In general, the purpose of postdoctoral positions at the University of Bergen is the building of competence by means of further development of research work to a higher level than what is possible within an ordinary PhD program. The main goals of the positions are to qualify the successful candidate for professional top positions.
Applicants shall put forward a proposal for a project for qualifying work. The proposal shall include a progress plan. It is a premise that the selected candidate will complete the project within the stipulated period of employment. Leaves of absence for other purposes than those laid down by law are normally not granted.
The employee may be assigned up to 25 % required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Recruitment to state employment
State employment shall reflect the multiplicity of the population at large to the highest possible degree. The University of Bergen has therefore adopted a personnel policy objective to ensure that we achieve a balanced age and sex composition and the recruitment of persons of various ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities. Persons of different ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities are therefore encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at any time.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public openness when recruiting staff to scientific positions. Information about the applicant may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if their request is not respected.
How to apply
You send your application with attachments electronically via “Jobbnorge” by clicking on the button marked “apply for this job”.
The application must contain:
- a brief letter of application stating your motivation for the position and why you are applying
- witnessed copies of diplomas and relevant certificates (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations)
- complete list of publications
- publications (pdf) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- two referees (name and contact information)
The applications will be sent electronically to the assessment committee.
Please notice that the applications will be assessed only with the information available in “Jobbnorge” when the deadline expires. It is the applicant`s responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here
Closing date for applications: 3 June 2018
- Søknadsfrist3. juni 2018
- ArbeidsgiverUniversity of Bergen
- Intern-ID18/4855 (IVØI)
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Akademisk CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - University of Bergen
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Helse / Sosial
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Hordaland