The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Fellow (3 years)
At The University of Bergen, Department of Biomedicine a full-time (100%) temporary position as Postdoctoral Fellow is available for a period of 3 years. The position is part of the research project “The Role of AXL at the Tumor-Immune Interface: Basic Studies and Clinical Translation” financed by The Norwegian Cancer Society.
The AXL receptor tyrosine kinase has emerged as a key mediator of acquired resistance to anti-cancer therapy. AXL signaling regulates both tumor intrinsic and innate immune mechanisms in the tumor microenvironment that engender epithelial plasticity and subvert anti-tumor immunity. The primary objective of this project is to determine how AXL regulates tumor-immune crosstalk in the context of targeted and immunotherapy, using unique patient tumor biopsy samples from an ongoing AXL inhibitor (BGB324) phase II clinical trial (NCT02872259) and advanced experimental murine tumor models.
The candidate will be the main driver of this project and will focus on generating and analyzing high-dimensional mass cytometry datasets to measure AXL-mediated tumor-immune interactions in clinical samples at the single-cell level. This will entail application of various multidimensional data-analysis methods and visualization approaches.
For further information please contact Prof. James Lorens, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifications and qualities
- The candidate must hold a Ph.D. degree (or submitted their doctoral dissertation for evaluation within the closing date of the application) in immunology, cancer research or computational biology.It is a condition for the appointment that the dissertation is approved.
- The candidate must have extensive experience in computational biology/bioinformatics methodologies. Familiarity with mass cytometry and/or high dimensional analysis of single cell level data sets is particularly favorable.
- A background in immunology is desirable.
- The candidate should be fluent in spoken and written English.
- Personal skills will be emphasized. The candidate should be able to work independently and interactively in a team setting, be motivated and responsible, and also have enthusiasm for research.
We can offer
- A good and challenging work environment (lab website: www.halberg-lab.com).
- Salary level 57 (code 1352/pay framework 24.1) at present NOK 490 900 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 59 (code 1352/pay framework 24.3) at present NOK 508 800 gross p.a., with a medical specialization level 61 (code 1352/pay framework 24.5) at present NOK 527 500 gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position. A pension contribute of 2 % will be deducted and deposited to the state pension scheme.
- A good pension scheme in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Inclusive workplace (IW)
- Good welfare benefits
For more information regarding what the University of Bergen can offer its employees please visit: http://www.uib.no/en/poa/74243/what-can-university-bergen-offer-its-employees
For further information about the recruitment process, click here
About postdoctoral fellowships
In general, the purpose of postdoctoral positions at the University of Bergen is the building of competence by means of further development of research work to a higher level than what is possible within an ordinary PhD program. The main goals of the positions are to qualify the successful candidate for professional top positions.
Applicants shall put forward a proposal for a project for qualifying work. The proposal shall include a progress plan. It is a premise that the selected candidate will complete the project within the stipulated period of employment. Leaves of absence for other purposes than those laid down by law are normally not granted.
The employee may be assigned up to 25 % required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Recruitment to state employment
State employment shall reflect the multiplicity of the population at large to the highest possible degree. The University of Bergen has therefore adopted a personnel policy objective to ensure that we achieve a balanced age and sex composition and the recruitment of persons of various ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities. Persons of different ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities are therefore encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at any time.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public openness when recruiting staff to scientific positions. Information about the applicant may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if their request is not respected.
How to apply
You send your application with attachments electronically via “Jobbnorge” by clicking on the button marked “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”.
The application must contain:
- a brief letter of application stating your motivation for the position and why you are applying
- witnessed copies of diplomas and relevant certificates (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations)
- complete list of publications
- publications (pdf) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- two referees (name and contact information)
The applications will be sent electronically to the assessment committee.
Please notice that the applications will be assessed only with the information available in “Jobbnorge” when the deadline expires. It is the applicant`s responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
- Søknadsfrist20. mai 2018
- ArbeidsgiverUniversity of Bergen
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Akademisk CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - University of Bergen
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Hordaland