On January 1st, 2017, Bergen University College, Sogn og Fjordane University College and Stord/Haugesund University College merged to form Western Norway University of Applied Sciences.
With about 16,000 students, is one of the largest higher education institutions in Norway. A broad range of academic programmes are offered at Bachelor, Master and PhD levels.
Our ambition is to build stronger and more solid academic and research environments that will interact nationally and internationally. The aim is to become a recognized actor on the international higher education arena. Increased international cooperation and engagement in externally funded projects will work towards this goal.
PhD position in Maritime Safety Management and Autonomy/autonomous vessels
Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Business Administration and Social Sciences (FØS) has one available PhD position in maritime safety and autonomy/autonomous vessels, 100 % position for 4 years (including 25% teaching duty). The PhD student will be part of the maritime safety research group (MarSafe) at the department of maritime studies. The place of employment is Haugesund, Norway.
On January 1st, 2017, Bergen University College, Sogn og Fjordane University College and Stord/Haugesund University College merged to form Western Norway University of Applied Sciences. With about 16,000 students, it is one of the largest higher educational institutions in Norway. A broad range of academic programmes is offered at Bachelor, Master and PhD levels. Our ambition is to build stronger and more solid academic and research environments that will interact nationally and internationally. The aim is to become a recognized actor on the international higher education arena. Increased international cooperation and engagement in externally funded projects will work towards this goal.
The PhD-student will apply for admission at the PhD programme in Nautical Operations. The Nautical Operations programme is a joint programme by HVL, UiT, NTNU and USN.
This position addresses safety management in relation to autonomy/autonomous shipping.
Key duties- and responsibilities
• Plan and perform research to understand, evaluate, and improve safety management with autonomy/autonomous systems
• Conduct research, applying relevant methods within quantitative and qualitative studies, assess data, interpret and form conclusions
• Write scientific manuscripts for conferences and peer-reviewed journals
• Travel may be needed as a part of the position
• Relevant MSc Degree. Grades should be minimum a B grade according to the Norwegian system see https://hvl.no/studier/studieprogram/2017h/phdnaut/
• Experience with applying risk and safety management philosophy, concepts, and approach • The person that is hired must fulfil the requirements for admission into the PhD program in Nautical Operations. For more info, see https://www.hvl.no/en/studies-at hvl/study-programmes/2018h/phdnaut/
• Documented qualifications in the English language as per requirements for Norwegian Higher Education, and in accordance with the requirements for the PhD program in Nautical Operations; https://www.hvl.no/en/studies-at hvl/study-programmes/2018h/phdnaut/
• Seafaring experience is preferred
• Research experience in multiple industries within safety management is useful and relevant
• Work experience with addressing rules and regulations, cooperation with government and regulatory authorities, ship owners and operators, classification societies, designers and academia
• Qualification, experience and knowledge within safety and organizational management
• Ability to work alone, in small and large groups, among multiple discipline experts.
The appointment board is Faculty of Business Administration and Social Sciences (FØS) at Western Norway University of Applied Sciences. Applicants to scientific positions must be assessed by an expert committee. Based upon the expert committee’s evaluation and recommendation, the applicants will be invited for an interview and trial lecture.
The position is remunerated according to the state salary scale LR 20, code 1017, Ltr. 50 / NOK 436 900. A 2 % compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted. The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at any time.
Moreover, we offer:
• Good occupational pension, insurance and loan schemes from The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
• Exciting academic environment with the possibility of competence enhancement and development
• Flexible working hours according to Special Agreement on flexible working hours in the government institutions
• Opportunities for training within the working hours
• Possibility of cover of relocation costs, according to the Special agreement on coverage of moving costs
How to apply for the vacancy?
Please send your resume and CV by clicking the button marked with «Søk stillingen» on this site. Please enclose a project plan of about 4 pages. We kindly inform you that your application will be evaluated using the information provided in your application at www.jobbnorge.no by the application date. It is the applicant's own responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the application date including scientific work (up to 15 pieces), complete publication list, certificates and diplomas. If the diplomas, certificates or other evidence of formal qualifications are not in a Scandinavian language or English, the applicant must submit certified translations. Please compress attachments exceeding 15 MB, or attach them as a link to the application. Applications will be sent to the expert committee electronically via Jobbnorge.
In accordance with §25 (2) of the Freedom of Information Act, applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, however, reserves the right to publish the name of the applicants. Applicants will receive information if Western Norway University of Applied Sciences intends to exercise this right. Western Norway University of Applied Sciences is currently under reorganization after the merger 01.01.17, and therefore there may be changes in relation to key responsibilities- and duties. The Norwegian public service is committed to reflecting the social diversity in its workforce, and the personnel policy of Western Norway
University of Applied Sciences aims to achieve a balanced workforce. All qualified candidates are therefore encourages to apply for the position, irrespective of cultural background, gender, age or disability. Western Norway University of Applied Sciences is an IA organization (Inclusive working life).
Contact us at Western Norway University of Applied Sciences:
Associate professor Helle Oltedal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: June 1st, 2018.
- Søknadsfrist1. juni 2018
- ArbeidsgiverWestern Norway University of Applied Sciences
- ArbeidsstedCampus Haugesund
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - Western Norway University of Applied Sciences
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Rogaland