NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Faculty of Engineering
Department of Energy and Process Engineering
Postdoctoral fellowship in Dynamics of power cycles for heat-to-power conversion from medium- to high-temperature heat sources (IV-94/18)
A three-year Postdoctoral fellow position is available at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering, NTNU in the Thermal Energy research group (www.ntnu.edu/ept/thermal-energy). The Thermal Energy group is one of the top-rated research groups within Engineering Sciences in Norway.
This position is a part of a Centre for an Energy Efficient and Competitive Industry for the Future (HighEFF) which is part of the scheme of the Centres for Environment-friendly Energy Research (FME). The centre is financed by the Research Council of Norway and industry. The HighEFF project will focus on technologies and processes with potential for large reduction in specific energy use. The Centre have pinpointed areas, which are mostly of cross-industry-sectorial character to ensure competence transfer between industrial branches joining the Centre. The project will educate around 20 PhD candidates and four Postdoctoral fellows.
The Postdoctoral fellow will focus on dynamic process modeling and simulation of Rankine or Brayton cycles, including steam Rankine cycles and organic Rankine cycles. The idea is to utilize waste heat from industry as a heat source. Energy efficiency on offshore installations recovering heat from gas turbines or compressor intercoolers may be one of the application areas. The power cycle and its components should be designed to handle fast load changes meaning dynamics is a key aspect. In addition to the modeling work, experimental work related to turbomachinery and power cycles is expected. Currently, we are developing a rig for testing design of turbomachinery for utilization of organic fluids in our laboratory. The Postdoctoral fellow should collaborate with other PhDs and Postdoctoral fellows within the HighEFF project, and will be part of a team developing national and European research projects. It is expected that the Postdoctoral fellow will be involved in co-supervision of PhD and Master candidates.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Power Engineering, Thermal Energy or related field with focus on power generation and dynamic processes. The candidate should ideally have experience both with analytical/numerical and experimental work for these type of systems.
Applicants are advised to address the following selection criteria:
• A PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
• Experience with computational tools relevant for the process and thermal power industries.
• Experience with dynamic process analysis and relevant tools.
• Experience with generic computational tools, such as, MATLAB, EES or similar.
• Experience with experimental work related to power cycles or its components.
• A good understanding of turbomachinery and thermal power plants.
• The ability to independently define research questions and write scientific papers.
• A high level of personal responsibility, initiative, and ability to work in a project team.
• The ability to guide Master and PhD students in relevant topics.
• Excellent communication skills with both technical and administrative staff.
• Excellent English skills, spoken and written, are required.
Applicants from non-English-speaking countries outside Europe must document English skills by an approved test. Approved tests are TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 485 700 per annum before tax. There will be a 2% deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage. The appointment of the Postdoctoral fellows will be made according to Norwegian guidelines for universities and university colleges and to the general regulations regarding university employees.
The successful candidate will be employed full-time by NTNU for three years. The candidate will be required to work in Trondheim at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering, NTNU.
The start date should be in the time span of 1 June 2018 – 15 January 2019. There is some flexibility in the starting date but an earlier start date (June/July) is preferred.
Further information about the position may be obtained from Associate Professor Lars Nord, email@example.com
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions. Female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
Applications should be submitted via this webpage at www.jobbnorge.no and include
- CV with all relevant scientific publications
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and grade certificates in English or Norwegian and copies of transcripts. If you have not yet graduated, please provide when you expect to attain your PhD degree.
- Project description and career development plan. The project description should be short, maximum six pages, with clear research ideas and methods within the above specified research area.
- Information of educational background and work experience. Two reference letters should be enclosed.
Mark the application with IV-94/18.
Application deadline is 31.03.2018
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
- Søknadsfrist31. mars 2018
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- ArbeidsstedDepartment of energy and process engineering
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Akademisk CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag