NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE)
Department of Mathematical Sciences (IMF)
PhD position in Kähler geometry
A new PhD fellowship in Kähler geometry is available at the Department of Mathematical Sciences at NTNU. The successful candidate will be offered a three-year position. The Department may offer a six to twelve month extension as a teaching assistant. The work place will be Trondheim.
About the research project
In this project, we will study the complex Brunn-Minkowski theory in Kähler geometry. Complex Brunn-Minkowski theory is a complex geometry description of the classical Brunn-Minkowski inequality for volumes convex bodies. It was established by Bo Berndtsson around 2005. Our aim is to further develop this theory and use it to understand the Donaldson-Fujiki picture of Kähler geometry. The focus will be on curvature properties of direct image bundles and their applications. The main tool is the Hörmander dbar-theory (Hodge theory).
The applicant must have a master’s degree in mathematics or comparable competence, and must also satisfy the requirement for entering the PhD programme at NTNU; please see http://www.ntnu.edu/ie/research/phd. Preference will be given to candidates who can document background in several complex variables and complex geometry (e.g., Hörmander dbar-theory or Hodge theory).
The admission to PhD education at NTNU requires an average grade of A or B within a scale of A-E for passing grades (A best) for the last two years of the MSc, and C or higher for the BSc.
MSc students in their final year are also invited to apply. Employment will then be postponed until the master’s degree is finished.
The applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must document a thorough knowledge of English (equivalent to a TOEFL score of 600 or more).
The application must include the following:
- Information about education background and work experience.
- Any relevant publications. Joint work will only be considered provided that a short summary outlining the applicant's contributions is attached.
- Certified copies of relevant transcripts and diplomas. Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or similar documentation, which describes in detail the programme of study, the grading system, and the rights to further studies associated with the degree obtained.
- Contact information for two references.
- Documentation of fluency in the English language.
Applications are to be submitted electronically through this page. Preferably, the attachments should be submitted as a single file.
Terms of employment
The appointment of the PhD fellows will be made according to Norwegian guidelines for universities and university colleges and to the general regulations regarding university employees. Applicants must agree to participate in organized doctoral study programs within the period of the appointment and have to be qualified for the PhD-study.
The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government’s policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. NTNU wishes to increase the number of women in its workforce, and female candidates are therefore encouraged to apply.
The PhD fellowship is placed in salary code 1017, with a gross salary of NOK 436 500 per year before tax. A pension contribution of 2% of the salary will be deducted as an obligatory premium to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
For further information, please contact: Xu Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Reference no: IE 003-2018.
Closing date: 12.02.2018.
- Søknadsfrist12. februar 2018
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Intern-IDIE 003-2018
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag