NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
2 PhD positions in Global Health at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) is the largest university in Norway with 39 700 students and 6 900 employees. NTNU is a university with an international focus, with headquarters in Trondheim and campuses in Ålesund and Gjøvik. NTNU has a main profile in science and technology, a variety of programmes of professional study, and great academic breadth that also includes the humanities, social sciences, economics, medicine, health sciences, educational science, architecture, entrepreneurship, art disciplines and artistic activities.
Applications are invited for two PhD positions within the field of Global Health at The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences. The discipline global health is an expanding field of research and education and a strategic area at the Faculty.
The positions are announced within the field of Global Health, in a broad perspective. People meet challenges in many fields, among others; sexual and reproductive health and rights, communicable and non-communicable diseases, vulnerable groups’ situation, inequity and the need of innovative solutions, interventions and implementation research. It is expected that the applied project is connected to the Sustainable Development Goals, and that the successful PhD candidates apply for memberships of the Norwegian Research School in Global Health.
The research project shall contribute to sustainable improvements in health and health equity for people in low and middle-income countries (LMICs). See OECD DAC list of low-and middle-income countries. The Faculty has signed agreements for collaboration with institutions in five countries: Nepal, Sierra Leone, Malawi, South Africa and Tanzania. For further information, please click on the following link: https://www.ntnu.edu/mh/global-health. It is an advantage if the project is in collaboration with the mentioned faculty prioritised countries, but this is not an obligation.
The period of employment for each PhD position is full time for a period of three years, and the Faculty of Medicine and Heath Science will fund these PhD positions. If the applicants chose to study and work outside of Norway a minimum of one year must be spent in Norway, Trondheim for PhD courses and for participation in the academic environment at the University. Please be aware that the appointment requires the successful candidates to be admitted to a PhD programme in Medicine and Health Sciences at NTNU, at the latest three months after the start date of the PhD position. For regulations concerning the PhD-degree at NTNU, please see: http://www.ntnu.edu/phd.
We welcome applicants who are available start these PhD projects immediately, after acceptance from NTNU, or at the latest 1st November 2018.
Deadline for applications are 16th February 2018
- Applicants must hold a Master’s degree or an equivalent qualification in in social sciences, medicine, public health, or other relevant field, with a minimum grade B or higher with NTNU’s grading system. The Master’s degree must include a thesis of at least 30 ECTS.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English is required.
- Supervisors can apply with either a known or an unknown candidate.
- PhD Candidates who apply themselves must have a prior agreement with a supervisor or co-supervisor employed at Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Emphasis will also be placed on:
- Expertise in relevant research methods for the project is an advantage.
- Research experience is an advantage.
We are looking for candidates with an enthusiasm for research. The successful candidates must be able to work both independently and in teams, is reliable, effective and have a high work capacity.
- An opportunity to contribute to better priorities for global health.
- A stimulating and friendly research environment and close interaction with national and international collaborators.
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Trondheim’s environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
Depending on qualifications and academic background, PhD Candidates (in code 1017) at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences will be remunerated at a minimum of NOK 436 500 per year before tax. Normal wage level is NOK 436 500 - 482 100 of which 2% is deducted for the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The appointment will be made in accordance with current regulations and supplementary rules with guidelines for employment as PhD Candidate appointments at universities and university colleges.
How to apply
Please submit your application with attachments electronically via this page (Jobbnorge.no) by clicking on the button marked “Apply for this job” by the deadline 16th February 2018. It is possible for both PhD candidates and for supervisors to submit the application. Supervisors can apply with either a known or an unknown candidate. In case such project without a PhD candidate is chosen, the position will later on be announced in JobbNorge to find a qualified candidate. PhD Candidates who apply themselves must have a prior agreement with a supervisor or co-supervisor employed at Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
The application must contain the following attachments:
- Project description (5-7 pages), see a template for recommended structure and evaluation criteria’s at our webpage https://www.ntnu.edu/mh/global-health/phd-positions.
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only). Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree:
- A list of publications and academic works from the last five years (for main supervisor and candidate)
- Supervisor’s statement from the main supervisor, including an assessment of feasibility.
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
Statement of collaboration from institution in LMIC
NTNU is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from both EU/EEA and non-EU countries. The university is strongly committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from members of ethnic minorities.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. If necessary, we will adapt the workplace for people with disabilities.
For information about the positions and the project description, please contact:
Elin Yli Dvergsdal, email: Elin.email@example.com mobile: + 47 918 97 681
Elisabeth Darj, email: Elisabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org mobile: + 47 918 97 729
For information concerning the application process, please contact:
HR Advisor Marta Aandahl, e-post: email@example.com, mobile: + 47 905 53 511
Please note that applications will be assessed based on the information submitted at this page. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Please note that under the Norwegian Civil Service Act, information about applicants may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be included on the list of applicants.
We do not wish inquiries from recruitment agencies, advertisers and the like.
- Søknadsfrist16. februar 2018
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag