The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
ARENA Centre for European Studies is a research centre under the Faculty of Social Sciences. ARENA promotes theoretically oriented, empirically informed studies analysing the dynamics of the evolving European political order. The research at ARENA is multidisciplinary and is organised along four key dimensions: A European democratic order; the EU's executive order; expertise and knowledge in the EU; and European foreign and security policy. ARENA hosts several nationally and internationally funded research projects and is engaged in a series of international networks.
Postdoctoral Fellow in the GLOBUS project
Applications are invited for a position as Postdoctoral Fellow at ARENA Centre for European Studies. The fellowship is part of the project “Reconsidering European Contributions to Global Justice (GLOBUS), which is an international research project funded by the EU’s Horizon 2020 programme. GLOBUS has eight partner universities in Brazil, China, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Norway and South Africa and is coordinated by Research Professor Helene Sjursen at ARENA.
The appointment is for the duration of the project and the subsequent year (until June 2021). The proposed starting date is 1 April 2018.
ARENA is a multidisciplinary research centre at the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Oslo. The centre promotes theoretically oriented, empirically informed studies seeking to analyse the dynamics of the evolving European systems of governance. It is highly renowned for its research on the transformation of Europe, and coordinates and participates in numerous international research projects and networks, mainly funded by European and Norwegian research programmes. Its international staff is conducive to a vibrant and integrated research community, where the working language is English.
The GLOBUS project aims to critically examine the European Union’s contribution to global justice, and it does so through a combination of normative and empirical research. GLOBUS undertakes analyses of the EU’s positions and policies on key aspects of global justice, including climate change, development and trade, security, and migration.
The postdoctoral fellowship is announced as part of the project’s research area “Trade, development and global justice”. The fellow is expected to undertake research as defined by the project. For further details, please contact the GLOBUS project manager Geir Kværk. Additional information on the GLOBUS project is also available on the project website.
Further, the person awarded the postdoctoral fellowship is expected to support the GLOBUS coordinator with a range of tasks related to the research, with particular emphasis on:
Dissemination and communication of results from the GLOBUS project;
Organization of various academic and other events;
Operational support with reporting and minutes of events and meetings.
ARENA is an integrated research centre, and it is therefore presupposed that the candidate takes an active part in the relevant research groups and collaborates with other researchers at ARENA.
Qualifications and personal skills
- Candidates must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian PhD degree in political science or relevant related discipline within the social sciences. The candidate’s PhD dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the application closing date. Appointment is dependent on the successful completion of the candidate’s PhD degree.
- Documented knowledge of the EU’s external policies in general as well as the EU’s trade/development policies.
- Familiarity with theories of justice will be considered an advantage.
- Good collaborative and communications skills
- Demonstrated experience in disseminating research results using multiple platforms
- Efficient, capable of handling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Applicants must have good written and oral proficiency in English
- Pay grade 57-65 (NOK 490 900- 569 000), depending on level of competence and/or length of service (position code 1352)
- Academically stimulating working environment
- Good pension benefits under the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund scheme
- Generous welfare benefits
The electronic application should include
- Application letter with a statement of interest (2-3 pages)
- CV including education, academic employment, project experience and other qualifying activity
- Academic transcripts (university degrees only)
- Copy of PhD diploma or documentation of thesis submission
- Academic publications (up to 2, may include PhD dissertation). Please note that there is no separate prompt for uploading such documents in the application portal. These must therefore be uploaded as separate "Attachments".
- A complete list of publications
- Names and contact details of two references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number).
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link "apply for this job." The application and all supporting documents must be in English (copies of academic transcripts in a Scandinavian language will also be accepted).
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for all employees for the purpose of securing intellectual and property rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
According to Section 25 of the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant can be published even though the applicant has requested not to be included in the public list of applicants.
- Søknadsfrist1. februar 2018
- ArbeidsgiverUniversity of Oslo
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - University of Oslo
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Oslo