NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Faculty of Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
2 PhD positions in Development of Innovative Methods and Technologies to Create Novel Products (IV-200/17)
The PhD positions are connected to NTNU Aluminium Product Innovation Center (NAPIC), which is a newly-established collaboration between Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Faculty of Architecture and Design at the Norwegian University of science and Technology (NTNU). The center is hosted by Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering—a part of Faculty of Engineering. NAPIC is a unique collaboration between NTNU, the aluminum manufacturing industry, SINTEF, Sintef Raufoss Manufacturing and select customers. The aim of NAPIC is to explore new aluminum product opportunities, employing a research-driven innovation approach based on cross-disciplinary collaboration between product design and development, manufacturing, materials technology and product applications. The vision is to become a world leader in research-driven aluminum product innovation.
NAPIC will leverage and utilize multi-disciplinary research for systematic product development and innovation, including key deliverables such as:
• Knowledge on aluminum applications for future engineers;
• Methods on how to organize future product development and innovation processes;
• Case studies and demonstrators that promote and increase the use of aluminum;
• Solutions for specific product and technology challenges from industry partners;
• Innovation coaching through collaborative problem-solving sprints with the industry partners;
• Establish RCN and EU funded research and technology development projects based on the needs and opportunities identified;
• PhDs trained to solve current and future industrial challenges;
• Spin-off companies based on commercial utilization of R&D results.
About the positions
NAPIC seeks two top qualified PhD candidates within the following fields:
1. Novel product development methods based on rapid and experimental learning loops
2. Multi-criteria decision analysis for supporting the choice of design and production processes of aluminium high value products
3. Barriers and enablers when introducing new materials and products in dispersed and complex value chains
4. Product lifecycle performance
Requirements for the positions
The applicant must specify in which field s/he intends to submit the application. For an application to be considered, the applicant must prove commitment from a thesis supervisor/professor at NTNU. Also, a mandatory requirement is to attach a description of the research plan. The PhD positions require a MSc degree or equivalent in related fields, but are also open for an integrated MSc and PhD education. The successful applicants must be highly motivated and ambitious with excellent grades from his/her MSc (minimum average grade B). Proficiency to systematically carry out goal-oriented work, in combination with good skills to deliver oral and written presentation of research results, along with good collaborative capabilities will be emphasized. Excellent English skills—written and oral—are required.
The positions include full financing for 3 years for the PhD positions. Work location is primarily NTNU in Trondheim, Norway.
Conditions of appointment
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated with gross salary NOK 432 300 before tax deduction. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage. As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
• A good pension scheme
• A favorable housing loan interest
• Good insurance schemes
Engagement as a PhD Candidate is done in accordance with “Regulation concerning terms and conditions of employment for the posts of post-doctoral research fellow, research fellow, research assistant and resident”, given by the Ministry of Education and Research of 19.07.2010. Applicants for a PhD will have to engage in an organized PhD training program, and appointment in the positions requires approval of the applicants plan and qualifications for the PhD study within three months from the date of commencement of the PhD position. See https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/phd-information and https://innsida.ntnu.no/doktorgrad for more information.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions and female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
The application must contain information of educational background and work experience. Certified copies of transcripts and reference letters should be enclosed.
Applications with CV, grade transcripts, diplomas, description of research plan and other enclosures should to be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
For further information about the position, please contact:
Professor Torgeir Welo, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +47 73593884
Professor Geir Ringen, email@example.com, tel. +47 41679834
Associate Professor Christer Westum Elverum, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark the application with IV-200/17
Commencement date will be agreed later.
Application deadline is 22 December 2017
- Søknadsfrist22. desember 2017
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- ArbeidsstedInstitutt for maskinteknikk og produksjon
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Ingeniøryrker
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag