NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Postdoctoral fellowship in Innovative IT Didactics
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/ie) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for one postdoctoral fellow position at the Department of Computer Science (IDI) (http://www.ntnu.edu/idi). The position is connected to Excited (Excellent IT Education, http://www.ntnu.edu/excited) which is a Centre for Excellence in Education funded by NOKUT for the period 2016-2021. The centre is a collaboration between NTNU (host institution) and Nord university.
Information about the department
Currently IDI has 26 full professors, 6 adjunct professors, 37 associate professors, 15 adjunct associate professors, 19 assistant professors, 42 postdoctoral/researchers, approx. 100 active PhD students, and 22 technical/administrative staff.
Information about the centre.
The centre has 6 professors / senior researchers in its core team, see http://www.ntnu.edu/excited, as well as several PhD / postdoc positions, and the successful applicant will thus be part of a highly collaborative effort with high ambitions for improving IT education and achieving high prestige international publications about it.
An appointment as postdoctoral fellow is for a term of 2 years, or 3 years with teaching duties equivalent to 33%. The position of postdoctoral fellow is a fixed-term position with the primary objective of qualifying for work in top academic posts.
The candidate will be a staff member of the Excited Centre, and the research must thus be aligned with the centre goals and deliverables. The centre aims to improve IT education in the partner universities, through innovative learning methods, software tools and digital resources, to evaluate learning interventions scientifically, and to disseminate the centre's activities and results as widely as possible. Some possible (but not exclusive) research topics for the postdoctoral researcher may be:
- E-learning tools to support the learning of key courses in the CS curriculum, like programming, algorithms, software engineering, databases, HCI.
- Problem-based learning, capstones, and projects in computing education.
- Novel ways of formative and summative assessment, as well as, self- and peer-assessment; i.e. automated ways of measuring student progress.
- Learning analytics to provide reflection/guidance to students and teachers.
- Novel ways of documenting student competencies beyond grading, e.g., student e-portfolios.
The Post-Doctoral Researcher’s responsibility will include the following tasks:
- Participation in research on the current learning and teaching quality of the educations involved in the center, definition, execution and evaluation of novel learning approaches.
- Publication of the results from these studies, mostly as peer-reviewed publications to high quality journals and conferences, but also as popular dissemination and reporting material to NOKUT.
- Supervision of master students whose thesis topic have synergy with the postdoctoral fellow’s research.
- If teaching duty is included, the postdoctoral fellow will also give lectures or in other ways be involved in the teaching and assessment of appropriate courses in the Department’s portfolio.
A doctoral degree at least level with a Norwegian PhD is required. The degree should be in computer science, informatics, IT didactics, or similar. Candidates with a PhD in Pedagogics are also welcome to apply, as long as they have sufficient IT background to do competent research in IT didactics and e-learning. Candidates who are close to finishing a PhD may also apply - in that case, the application must specify the planned finishing date, and employment will be postponed until the PhD degree is obtained. Otherwise, the following is required:
- Demonstrated research capability via a strong publications record.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. For candidates who are neither native English speakers or from Scandinavia, the following tests can be used as documentation for English skills: TOEFL, Academic IELTS and Cambridge CAE or CPE.
Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
The following competencies are not strictly required, but a clear advantage:
- Teaching experience and qualifications in pedagogy / didactics.
- Fluency in a Scandinavian language, as many of the courses to be improved by the centre are taught in Norwegian – or documented ability to learn language quickly.
Appointments will be made in accordance with current university regulations. The successful applicant must agree to the conditions laid down for public employees and must sign a contract regulating the starting date and duration of employment. A deduction of 2% is made from the salary as a mandatory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government’s policy of balanced ethnicity, age, and gender. NTNU wishes to increase the number of women in its workforce, and female candidates are therefore encouraged to apply.
The position is in code 1352 Post doctor, salary grade range from 57 in the Norwegian State salary scale, gross NOK 490,500 per year, depending on qualifications.
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering want to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
As far as possible, the State workforce should reflect the diversity of the population. Goals of our personnel policy therefore include a balanced distribution in terms of age and gender as well as recruitment of people of immigrant background.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must contain
- A cover letter including an explanation of how your research interests and background would fit the position.
- Information about education and relevant experience (academic CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates. (Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to attach a diploma supplementor a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.)
- A short research statement (up to 2000 words) describing the applicant's view of what the main research challenges are for Innovative IT Didactics, and what the applicant specifically envisions to contribute to the research in the Excited centre.
- Information about educational experience, including teaching experience. See "Documentation of an applicant’s pedagogical qualifications": http://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
- At least 2 publications.
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
The application must be sent electronically as one combined PDF file via this page (Jobbnorge.no).
For further information, please contact centre leader Prof. Guttorm Sindre, e-mail: email@example.com, phone +47 73 59 44 79, or the head of the department John Krogstie, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +47 934 17 551.
For information about processing of applications, please contact Senior Executive Officer Anne Kristin Bratseth, phone +47 73 59 671 5, e-mail email@example.com.
Mark the application IE 125-2017
Deadline for application: 2017-12-12
- Søknadsfrist12. desember 2017
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Intern-IDIE 125-2017
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag