The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs finances a number of positions as Junior Professional Officers (JPOs) in multiple international organizations.
This position is open to Norwegian nationals only.
Education on master level and two years of fulltime post-master experience is required for all JPO-positions.
The applicants can be no more than 32 years of age.
The JPOs will be offered one-year contracts with extensions up to three years.
The application and CV must be written in English.
JPO - WASH Officer (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Officer) - UNICEF
Job Title: WASH Officer
Post Location: Addis Ababa
Job Level: P2
Supervisor Title/ Level: P4
Organizational Unit: WASH
Job Classification Level: L2
II. Organizational Context and Purpose for the job
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Job organizational context
The WASH section at UNICEF Ethiopia CO is seeking donor support for the funding of a JPO position for 2018-2020 that will provide critical support to UNICEF’s largest WASH country programme.
The JPO will support two out of the five pillars: WASH sector coordination and Emergency WASH. Which at the moment represent over 50% of the WASH section portfolio. The JPO will have the opportunity to support the OWNP (One WASH National Programme) the largest SWAp (Sector Wide Approach) WASH programme of its kind in the world. And will also provide critical support to the WASH Cluster (led by UNICEF) and to UNICEF’s emergency response, which is expected to continue to be large at least in 2018 (UK’s Met Office forecasts probability of El Nino-induced drought next year, which would represent 3 consecutive years of drought in the Horn of Africa).
Purpose for the job
Under the supervision of Sector-wide coordination and emergency WASH manager, this position will mainly support 1) UNICEF’s contribution to One WASH National Programme 2) WASH Cluster coordination and 3) Emergency WASH programming.
1) One WASH National Programme (OWNP) is the Government-own WASH programme with involvement of all the relevant sectors such as water, health, education and finance. As a sub programme of OWNP, UNICEF has been contributing to Consolidated WASH Account (CWA) which is a pooled fund from World Bank, African Development Bank, DFID, UNICEF and Finland government. The OWNP has 4 components: Rural and Pastoral WASH, Urban WASH, Institutional WASH and Programme management and Capacity building. UNICEF Ethiopia has been advocating for strengthening linkage between development and emergency activities in WASH through this programme for sustainable WASH services.
2) UNICEF WASH is a co-lead with Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity (MoWIE) for WASH Cluster coordination in the country. Closely working with WASH Cluster coordinator, the WASH Officer will support activities related to cluster coordination liaising with all the regional cluster coordination platforms. During the last few years, the main focus areas of WASH cluster have been drought, floods and acute watery diarrhea response.
3) UNICEF Ethiopia has one of the huge emergency WASH projects every year globally and has focus on resilient WASH services from infrastructure to software component like service management. UNICEF-supported resilient emergency water supply projects are exemplified by a water supply system across refugee camps and its host communities, deep boreholes with piped systems in drought-prone areas, identification of drilling sites by a remote sensing technology, real-time monitoring of functionality of water supply schemes and so on.
III. Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1) The WASH Officer is expected to participate in Joint Technical Review (JTR) and Mid-Term Review (MTR) of the OWNP and CWA with other contributing development partners and government officials. This is to contribute to improvement of the programme and delivering advocacy messages to the sector on behalf of UNICEF. Where necessary, the WASH officer will provide support for revising OWNP strategy and relevant documents. In addition, at an event of Multi Stakeholder Forum (MSF) to be held annually in Ethiopia, this position is expected to contribute significantly to an UNICEF exhibition booth.
2) Cluster coordination related-work such as: organizing a monthly WASH Cluster meeting, ensuring monthly report from WASH cluster partners/NGOs, main communication focal point for WASH Cluster with WASH cluster partners/NGOs, responsible for quarterly Periodic Monitoring Report (PMR) to be submitted to OCHA, responsible for releasing WASH Cluster bulletin every quarter, updating and documenting WASH Cluster key priorities for use of donor meetings etc, providing weekly/monthly inputs of WASH cluster to OCHA, assisting Information Management Officer (IMO) for data analysis, reviewing NGO proposals submitted to Ethiopian Humanitarian Fund (EHF), contributing to summarizing and analyzing findings from seasonal assessments for Humanitarian Requirements Document (HRD) and when necessary, attending an Inter Cluster Coordination Meeting and/or National Disaster Risk Management Committee (NDRMC) meeting on behalf of WASH Cluster.
3) The UNICEF emergency WASH would require assistance for proposal writing, reporting, field monitoring, contract management, procurement and supply, emergency WASH grant management and PCAs management.
4) Other office related works will be requested by Chief of WASH or direct supervisor depends on the situation. This could include: WASH section retreat arrangement etc.
IV. Impact of Results
1) To provide support to ONWP-CWA monitoring by participating in Joint Technical Review (JTR) missions of the OWNP and OWNP-CWA with other contributing development partners and government officials
2) To provide support to cluster coordination related-work (i.e. WASH Cluster meetings, reports to OCHA, bulletins, reviewing NGO proposals, support to Humanitarian Requirements Document (HRD)
3) To provide support to UNICEF’s emergency response by assisting in proposal writing, reporting, field monitoring, contract management, procurement and supply, emergency WASH grant management and PCAs management
V. Competencies and level of proficiency required
Diversity and inclusion
Working with people
Drive for results
Relating and networking
Formulating strategies and concepts
Deciding and Initiating action
Applying technical expertise
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
Education: An Advanced University degree (Master's) in water and sanitation, or related discipline is required. First University degree with relevant years of work experience may be accepted in exceptional circumstances.
Experience: At least 2 years of working experience in WASH in either emergency or development contexts (preferable in both)
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish) or Amharic is considered an asset.
- Søknadsfrist29. oktober 2017
- ArbeidsstedAddis Ababa
- Intern-IDJPO 2017
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - Utenriksdepartementet
- Ledige stillinger - Administrasjon / Kontor / Personal
- Ledige stillinger - Ingeniøryrker
- Ledige stillinger - Offentlige tjenester / Forvaltning
- Ledige stillinger - Renhold / Renovasjon