NTNU - kunnskap for en bedre verden
Ved NTNU, Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet, skapes kunnskap for en bedre verden og løsninger som kan forandre hverdagen.
PhD fellowship in Learning Analytics and Interaction
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/ie) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for one PhD research fellow position in Smart Environments and Analytics for Learning at the Department of Computer and Information Science (http://www.ntnu.edu/idi).
The appointment is for a term of 4 years, with duties equivalent to 25%. This is a researcher training position aimed at providing promising researcher recruits the opportunity of academic development in the form of a doctoral degree.
Information about the department
The Department of Computer Science currently employs 26 full time professors, 3 adjunct professors,41 associate professors, 16 adjunct associate professors, 18 assistant professors, 37 postdocs/researchers, approximate 90 PhD students, and 23 technical/administrative staff. Research activities are organized into groups and strategic European and National projects as documented here http://www.ntnu.edu/idi/research
The PhD fellow will be a member of the Information Systems and Software Engineering (ISSE - https://www.ntnu.edu/idi/groups/isse) group and will participate in relevant research activities within ongoing projects and initiatives like the Norwegian Research Council funded project, Future Learning (https://www.ntnu.edu/idi/future-learning) and the Centre for Excellent IT Education (https://excit-ed.com/).
The primary aim of the PhD project is to gain a rich and integrated understanding on how multimodal learning analytics (e.g., clickstream interactions, learners’ profile, eye-tracking data) can help us to design effective, efficient, attractive and accessible technologies to actively support and enhance learning. For this reason, a successful candidate is expected to perform excellent research within learning technologies, interaction design, data analytics and related areas. The PhD fellow will carry out empirical-oriented research to develop new knowledge in how analytics allow us to advance the design of 21st century learning systems.
The position requires strong English oral and writing skills as the candidate will be interacting with a team of international researcher and the job will include progress reports in English.
If the applicant’s studies are not from an English speaking country, the following tests can be used as documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
In addition, potential successful candidate will interviewed via Skype or other means.
- A master's degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Learning Technologies, HCI or equivalent with very good results is required, with an average grade B or better as measured in ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) grades, or an education at the equivalent level.
- A solid knowledge of interaction design and learning analytics is essential, and a research-oriented master thesis within one of these or related areas are expected.
- Web development and data analysis programming skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Additional desired qualifications:
- Academic publications
Emphasis will be put on personal qualities and potential as a researcher. High importance will also be attached to personal communication and cooperation skills.
Appointments are made in accordance with the regulations in force regarding terms of employment for PhD candidates issued by the Ministry of Education and Research, with relevant parts of the additional guidelines for appointment as a PhD candidate at NTNU. Applicants must undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme of study during their period of employment. The person who is appointed must comply with the conditions that apply at any time to employees in the public sector. In addition, a contract will be signed regarding the period of employment, including duty work if relevant.
Applicants must be qualified for admission as PhD students at NTNU. See http://www.ntnu.edu/ime/research/phd for information about PhD studies at NTNU. Together with the application, include a description of the research work that is planned for completion during the period of the scholarship.
The position is in code 1017 Stipendiat, minimum salary grade 50 in the Norwegian State salary scale, typically in salary grade 50-57, gross NOK 432,300 - 485,700 per year, depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2 % is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
We can offer
- an informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- academic challenges
- attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pensions in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering want to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
As far as possible, the State workforce should reflect the diversity of the population. Goals of our personnel policy therefore include a balanced distribution in terms of age and gender as well as recruitment of people of immigrant background.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must contain
- Information about education and relevant experience (CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplementor a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
- A statement of purpose (2 pages):
- A short presentation of the motivation for a PhD study
- How the applicant sees his/her background suitable,
- The applicant’s view of research challenges within the area of the PhD position
- How multimodal analytics can help us to advance the design of 21st century learning systems,
- How the competence of the applicant can contribute to solving these challenges
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
The application must be sent electronically as one combined PDF file via this page (jobbnorge.no).
For further information, please contact Michail Giannakos, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +47 73 59 07 31, or Head of the Department John Krogstie.Email: email@example.com, phone: +47 934 17 551.
For information about processing of applications, please contact Senior Executive Officer Anne Kristin Bratseth, phone +47 73 59 67 15, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark the application IE 108-2017
Deadline for application: 20.10.2017
- Søknadsfrist20. oktober 2017
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- KommuneBamble, Bø i Telemark, Drangedal, Fyresdal, Hjartdal, Kragerø, Kviteseid, Nissedal, Nome, Notodden, Porsgrunn, Sauherad, Seljord, Siljan, Skien, Tinn, Tokke, Trondheim, Vinje
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag
- Ledige stillinger - Telemark