The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Institute's overall objective is to promote basic medical knowledge in order to understand normal processes, provide insight into mechanisms that cause illness, and promote good health. The Institute is responsible for teaching in basic medical sciences for the programmes of professional study in medicine and the Master's programme in clinical nutrition. The Institute has more than 300 employees and is located in Domus Medica.
Postdoctoral Fellow in causal inference and stochastic processes
Applications are invited for a 2 year position as Postdoctoral Fellow in causal inference and stochastic processes to be based at the Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo.
The Oslo Centre for Biostatistics and Epidemiology (OCBE), Department of Biostatistics at the University of Oslo, Norway are seeking candidates for a Postdoc position for two years. This is an opportunity to join one of Europe's most active biostatistics groups at an exciting time. Currently, OCBE includes nine tenured professors and associate professors, twelve researchers, and several post-doctoral fellows and PhD students, making up a group of about 50. OCBE is internationally recognized, with interests spanning a broad range of areas (including time-to-event models, data integration, causal inference, statistical genomics, Bayesian inference, informative missingness and measurement error models, epidemiological studies of lifestyle and chronic diseases, stochastic models for infectious diseases, high dimensional data and models) and numerous collaborations with leading bio-medical research groups nationally and internationally.
The main purpose of the fellowship is to qualify researchers for work in higher academic positions within their disciplines.
The clinical health registries in the Nordic countries contain detailed information on individual health histories that provides an opportunity to identify improvements of treatments, or even guidelines, in health care. Applying traditional statistics for this purpose may lead to erroneous conclusions when not distinguishing statistical associations and causal effects. Causal inference combines statistics and mathematical modeling to squeeze out the available information on causal effects from such non-experimental data. The current project aims to develop new methodology for causal inference that is suitable for registry data and observational data from clinical studies. The successful postdoc candidate will develop new statistical methodology, exploiting the unique possibilities offered by the national health registries and other sources of data.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in medicine and medical qualification is a requirement.
- Applicants must hold a Master's degree in statistics or mathematics.
- Experience with develpment and applications of new statistical methodology to observational data in clinical settings.
- Experience with research on survival analysis based on counting processes.
- Proficiency in the English language.
The following qualifications will count in the assessment of the applicants:
- Good collaboration skills and the ability to work in a team.
- The applicant's estimated academic and personal ability to contribute to the project within the time frame.
- salary NOK 486 100 – 569 000 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- a complete list of publications
- list of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “apply for this job”. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description (whenever this is required in the call for applicants), and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
No one can be appointed for more than one specified period at the same institution.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
No one can be appointed twice as a Postdoctoral Fellow financed with funds from The Research Council of Norway (NFR).
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results and intellectual property.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
Contact persons: Associate Professor Kjetil Røysland, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +47-22851015
- Søknadsfrist25. september 2017
- ArbeidsgiverUniversity of Oslo
- ArbeidsstedDomus Medica
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - University of Oslo
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Oslo