Global challenges regarding energy and climate change, the environment, health, food safety, technology and renewable solutions, use and conservation of land and natural resources, and development of the bio-economy, requires greater effort. NMBU is well equipped to conduct further research in these fields. NMBU's expertise spans entire value chains and includes both basic and applied research.
On 1 January 2014, the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science and the University of Life Sciences merged and became –NMBU, the Norwegian University of Life Sciences. NMBU has 1700 employees and 5200 students, and is currently located on two campuses – Ås, about 30 km south of Oslo, and Adamstuen in Oslo. In 2020, the new research- and education-building for veterinary science will be completed and all of NMBU will then be located at Campus Ås.
Further information about NMBU is available on www.nmbu.no
2 positions: Associate professor, tenure-track, infection biology – Ref.no. 17/02033
NMBU invites applications for two tenure-track positions (six years) in infection biology. The positions are part of the University's program for the recruitment of top researchers, which aims at recruiting internationally leading, early-career researchers with a high potential for NMBU:
- Candidate 1 will be employed at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (VET), at present located at the Adamstua campus of NMBU.
- Candidate 2 will be employed at the Faculty of Biosciences (Biovit) or the Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science (KBM), depending on the candidate’s profile and research plan. Biovit and KBM are located on the Ås campus of NMBU.
The candidates to be employed are expected to collaborate across the faculties at NMBU.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (VET) has 370 employees, 500 students within the two teaching programmes, veterinary medicine and veterinary nursing, and 135 PhD students. VET has four departments, i.e. Food Safety and Infection Biology, Basic Sciences and Aquatic Medicine, Production Animal Clinical Sciences and Companion Animal Clinical Sciences. The research focus is basic and applied biomedical research of animal health and welfare, and food safety. The candidate recruited to the position will be a member of staff at one of the four departments.
The Faculty of Biosciences (Biovit) and the Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science (KBM) educate candidates within biosciences (biochemistry, physiology, cell biology, systems biology, microbiology, genetics, bioinformatics), food and food safety, domestic animals and aquaculture, production technology, botany and nutrition (see our website for further information).
More about Biovit: Biovit contributes to the development of sustainable agriculture and food production systems through basic and applied research in plants, animals and fish (aquaculture). The research groups are organized in the following sections: Systems Genetics and Bioinformatics, Animal Breeding and Quantitative Genetics, Nutrition, Ethology and Animal Welfare, Agroecology, Genetics and Plant Breeding, Food Crops, Plant Biology and Biotechnology, and Plant Protection. The faculty is responsible for bachelor and master programs in Biology, Animal Science and Plant Science, and international master programs in Agroecology, Plant Science, Aquaculture, Animal Breeding Genetics and Feed Manufacturing Technology. In addition, PhD programs are offered in Animal Science and Aquaculture, and Plant Sciences. The faculty has approximately 220 employees.
More about KBM: KBM employs about 160 people. The faculty has approx. 50 PhD students, and ca. 500 BSc and MSc students. KBM covers a wide range of scientific fields within basic natural sciences such as chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology as well as the application of these towards food chemistry, technology and safety, biotechnology and environmental issues. For further information: https://www.nmbu.no/en/faculty/kbm
The successful candidates are expected to develop essential expertise and independence in research and teaching within infection biology. Candidate 1, to be employed at VET, should focus on infection biology within veterinary medicine (production animals, companion animals, and humans are relevant). Candidate 2, to be employed at Biovit or KBM, may have a variety of backgrounds and research interests, and is likely a strong molecular microbiologist working on e.g. plant pathology, fish disease, human pathogens and/or food safety, both at a molecular and –omics level, possibly combined with infection-related microbial ecology.
Both candidates shall initiate, build and, possibly, lead a research group with an international format and their potential to do so will be a primary selection criterion.
The candidates will have the opportunity to qualify for a permanent position as associate professors or professors based on achievements in research, teaching, communication, leadership, collaboration and the ability to compete for research grants nationally and internationally. A strong commitment to excellence in teaching is expected. Evaluations will be performed according to NMBU’s guidelines for tenure-track appointments (https://www.nmbu.no/download/file/fid/24372)
For both positions the following is included:
- One PhD Position (3 years)
- NOK 0.25 million in operating funds
- Initiate and perform high quality research within infection biology
- Develop a internationally leading research program
- Initiate, acquire funding for and conduct research projects
- Supervision of Master and PhD students
- Disseminate research results to academic communities, industry and the public
- Teach and manage courses at BSc, MSc and/or PhD level
- Participate in the execution of administrative duties
- Develop collaborative networks within NMBU and contribute to a good working atmosphere.
- Develop international collaborative networks
- A PhD degree and research experience relevant for the proposed research plan in infection biology. Applicants for the position at VET must hold a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree.
- A competitive publication record with internationally published research of very high quality
- Experience from supervision of students and teaching
- Skills in research management, cooperation and acquisition of funding. The applicant must be able to develop research projects funded by the Norwegian Research Council, EU, ERC and ERA as well as other funders of research.
- If the person employed does not hold formal competence in pedagogics, he/she is obliged to complete NMBU’s course in university pedagogy (PPUN400) within two years after appointment. Likewise, if the person employed does not have a sufficient command of Norwegian or a Scandinavian language, he/she is obliged to complete Norwegian language courses to reach advanced level (Bergenstesten or similar) within the same two years.
- Personal ambitions to develop and lead a research group
- Strong commitment to excellence in research and teaching
- Good collaborative and communicative skills
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
- A competitive academic institution with focus on professional development, dissemination and excellence
- An interdisciplinary environment that provides exciting research- and development opportunities
- Daily contact with inspiring students and colleagues
- Excellent working facilities in new well-equipped state-of-the-art laboratories.
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1011 Associate Professor, wage framework 24 (salary grade 57-77), depending on qualifications.
For further information, please see Guidelines for Tenure Track Appointments; https://www.nmbu.no/download/file/fid/24372 or contact:
Dean of VET, Anne Storset (email@example.com, phone; +47 67232303), Dean of BIOVIT, Kari Kolstad (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +47 67232604), or Dean of KBM, Ågot Aakra (email@example.com, phone +47 996 44 032)
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form. The application should include:
- A 2-3 page description of the candidate’s planned research at NMBU and how the candidate will develop excellent research and education within the field of infection biology at NMBU
- Recommendation letter (1 page) from a group leader or faculty staff at the Faculty to which the candidate intends to be affiliated (VET, KBM or BIOVIT)
- (Electronically) approved copies of transcripts and certificates.
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview and asked to present a trial lecture on a prescribed topic. In this part of the process, collaborative skills and personal attitude will be considered, and references must be given. A more detailed research plan than provided with the application, may also be requested.
Application deadline: September 30 2017
Up to ten publications selected by the applicant as most relevant must be attached to the application. If it is difficult to identify the contribution of the applicant in multiple-author publications, a short explanation about the applicant’s part of the work is suggested.
Verified testimonies, certificates
The application should include (electronically) approved copies of transcripts and certificates.
The university is an equal opportunity employer. Among applicants with similar qualifications, women will be given preference
The position follows the Norwegian government pay scale. A compulsory contribution of 2 % is made to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of gender, physical ability or cultural background. The workplace will, if necessary be facilitated for persons with disabilities.
According to the Freedom of Information Act § 25 the list of applicants for this position may be made public irrespective of whether the applicant has requested that his/her name be withheld.
- Søknadsfrist30. september 2017
- ArbeidsgiverNorwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Akademisk CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Helse / Sosial
- Ledige stillinger - Ingeniøryrker
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Akershus