PhD Candidate in geodynamics (isostasy and flexure of the lithosphere)
The Department of Geosciences has a PhD position vacant for applicants who wish to obtain the degree of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD). The research is coordinated with research activities within the Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration (ARCEx), which is funded by the Research Council of Norway and several industry partners. Additional information about ARCEx can be found at www.arcex.no.
The appointment is for a period of four years including 25% teaching duty at the department.
The PhD position is for a fixed term, with the objective of completion of research training to the level of a doctoral degree. Admission to a PhD programme is a prerequisite for employment, and the programme period starts on commencement of the position. The PhD Candidate shall participate in the faculty’s organized research training, and the PhD project shall be completed during the period of employment. Information about the application process for admission to the PhD programme, application form and regulations for the degree of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) are available here.
Further information about the position is available by contacting:
Professor Alfred Hanssen, email: email@example.com phone: +47 45255593,
Professor Jan Sverre Laberg, email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone + 47 77 64 44 65
The position’s affiliation
The position is at the Department of Geosciences. The main activities at the department relate to education and research in various geology-related topics in the northern hemisphere and the Arctic. The department participates in several large research projects, and hosts among others, ARCEx. Seventeen PhD and Post Doc research fellows are currently affiliated with ARCEx, and the centre collaborates with research institutions in Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, Trondheim and Svalbard. The overarching goal of ARCEx is to create new knowledge about petroleum resources in the Arctic and to provide essential knowledge and methodology for eco-safe exploration.
The position is coordinated with ongoing research activities in ARCEx, and the candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary research group that includes physicists, geophysicists, geologists, marine scientists and engineers from both national collaborators and industry partners.
The position’s field of research/research project and other duties
The focus of the PhD project will be on the physical, mathematical and numerical modeling of flexure phenomena in the lithosphere. In particular, we are interested in understanding the lithospheric response to ice ages and associated glacial erosion and sediment loading in the Barents Sea.
The lithosphere can be modeled as a thin elastic or viscoelastic plate floating on top of the mantle, which can in turn be modeled as a hot and highly viscous Newtonian or non-Newtonian medium. The isostatic response of the crust can be modeled by coupling mechanical, fluid, and thermal models with nonlinear models of erosion dynamics. The resulting coupled models will have to be discretized and solved numerically. However, these nonlinear models are in general hard to solve, and the complicated and often poorly understood boundary conditions pose additional practical obstacles. In particular, spatial inhomogeneities are often neglected in the modeling. In this project, the inclusion of spatial inhomogeneous and temporal nonstationarities will be central to improve our understanding of the space-time glacial impact on the Barents Sea.
In this project, we will develop and use state-of-the-art 1D and 2D numerical models to model the response of the crust, and an ice sheet model for the long-term development of the Barents Sea ice sheet. Results from basin modelling will be integrated if necessary and applicable. The numerical models will be run on massively parallel high-performance computing facilities.
The successful applicant must fulfil the requirements for admission to the faculty’s PhD programme, cf. Regulation for the degree of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) at UiT The Arctic University of Norway. In addition, he/she must be able to document proficiency in English equivalent to Norwegian Higher Education Entrance Qualification, refer to the website about PhD regulations at UiT.
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree in physics, applied mathematics, statistics, geophysics, numerical analysis, electrical or mechanical engineering, or other relevant topics, or must have submitted her/his master’s thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master’s degree has been awarded.
- The applicant should have experience with mathematical and numerical modeling.
- Good programming skills is an absolute requirement, with proficiency in e.g. Matlab, C/C++, Python, R, or maybe even Fortran.
- Applicants need to demonstrate an ability to work independently and in a structured manner.
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills are required.
The successful candidate will live and work in Tromsø, and is expected to engage himself/herself in the ongoing development in the Department, ARCEx, and the University as a whole.
Emphasis is attached to personal suitability.
We can offer:
- A positive and inclusive working environment.
- An interesting and scientifically challenging research project with possibilities for collaboration with national and international research institutions, as well as industry partners, in order to generate research results of high quality.
The normal period of employment is four years. The nominal length of the PhD programme is three years. The fourth year, distributed as 25 % of each year, shall be used for teaching or other duties for the university, cf. Guidelines for the research fellow’s duties.
A shorter period of appointment may be decided when the research fellow has already completed parts of his/her research training programme or when the appointment is based on a previous qualifying position (PhD Candidate, research assistant, or the like) in such a way that the total time used for research training amounts to three years.
Remuneration for the position of PhD Candidate is in accordance with the State salary scale code 1017. A compulsory contribution of 2 % to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted.
The applicants will be assessed by an expert committee. During this assessment process, emphasis will be attached to the applicant’s potential for research as shown by:
- Master’s thesis or equivalent
- any other academic work
In addition, consideration may be given to work experience or other activities of significance for the implementation of the PhD studies, and to any teaching qualifications. This includes teaching education, teaching experience, experience from popularization and experience/education from other types of dissemination. Information and material to be considered during the assessment must be submitted by the stipulated deadline.
The applicants who are assessed as the best qualified will called to an interview. The interview shall among other things aim to clarify the applicant’s personal suitability for the position.
The application must be submitted electronically via the application form available on www.jobbnorge.no.
The application must include:
- Letter of application
- CV (containing a complete overview of education, supervised professional training and professional work)
- Copies of:
- diploma and transcript from your Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- diploma and transcript from your Master’s degree or equivalent
- diploma supplement for completed degrees
- documentation of English language proficiency
- The works (published or unpublished) which the applicant wishes to be taken into consideration during the assessment process must be submitted
- List of works and description of these. The list shall contain the following information:
- author(s), the work’s title
- for articles: the journal’s name and volume, the first and last page of the article, year of publication
- for publications: publisher, printer, year of publication, number of pages
- List of references with contact information.
All documentation that is to be evaluated must be certified and translated into English or a Scandinavian language.
Information and material to be considered during the assessment must be submitted by the stipulated deadline.
Applicants shall also refer to the Supplementary regulations for appointment to postdoktor (Postdoctoral Fellow), stipendiat (PhD) and vitenskapelig assistent (Research Assistant) positions at UiT The Arctic University of Norway and to the Regulations concerning terms and conditions of employment for posts of postdoktor (Postdoctoral Fellow), stipendiat (PhD), vitenskapelig assistent (Research Assistant) and spesialistkandidat (Resident).(In Norwegian only)
Questions concerning the organisation of the working environment, such as the physical state of the place of employment, health service, possibility for flexible working hours, part time, etc. as well as questions about the PhD programme may be directed to the telephone reference in this announcement.
UiT has HR policy objectives that emphasize diversity, and encourages all qualified applicants to apply regardless of their gender, functional ability and national or ethnic background.
UiT is an IW (Inclusive Workplace) enterprise, and will emphasize making the necessary adaptations to the working conditions for employees with reduced functional ability.
Personal data given in an application or CV will be processed in accordance with the Act relating to the processing of personal data (the Personal Data Act). In accordance with Section 25 subsection 2 of the Freedom of Information Act, the applicant may request not to be registered on the public list of applicants. However, the University may nevertheless decide that the name of the applicant will be made public. The applicant will receive advance notification in the event of such publication.
- Søknadsfrist1. august 2017
- ArbeidsgiverUiT Norges arktiske universitet
- Intern-ID2017/3218 - 3311
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - UiT Norges arktiske universitet
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Troms