CIRFA does research on methods and technologies that can reliably detect, monitor, integrate and interpret multi-sensor data describing the physical environment of the Arctic, and efficiently assimilate this information into models to perform predictions of sea ice state, meteorological and oceanographic conditions. See more at http://cirfa.uit.no/.
Tenure-Track Associate Professor in Earth Observation and Remote Sensing at CIRFA
UiT The Arctic University of Norway has a tenure-track position as Associate Professor available at the Centre for Integrated Remote Sensing and Forecasting for Arctic Operations (CIRFA), hosted by the Department of Physics and Technology. The appointment is for a period of 6 years.
We are looking for a talented candidate with great scientific potential, to strengthen and further develop the existing research at CIRFA and the Department of Physics and Technology. To support the candidate, we will contribute with an attractive start-up package including financial support and doctoral positions. Normally, tenure-track positions are for candidates who obtained their PhD within the last five years.
The workplace will be at UiT in Tromsø.
CIRFA is organised under the Department of Physics and Technology (DPT), a department at the Faculty of Science and Technology. The department consists of five research groups:
- Earth Observation
- Energy and Climate
- Machine Learning
- Space Physics
- Ultrasound, Microwaves and Optics
The department provides education on the Bachelor, Master, and PhD levels, and comprises 19 permanent scientific positions and a technical/administrative staff of 10 persons.
The position’s field of research
You will be included in the science team of CIRFA, and the research duties of the position are tied to CIRFA’s research program. We are looking for a candidate who has a research background in the area of microwave remote sensing methods and applications. This covers advanced methods for utilization of data from SAR (e.g. interferometric SAR and polarimetric SAR), and/or microwave radiometers (e.g. polarimetric radiometers and interferometric radiometers).
You should preferably have a strong educational background in physics, and experience and strong interest in signal and image analysis, especially related to new microwave remote sensing technologies. Interest and experience in CIRFA’s other application domains will be considered an advantage.
Further information about the position and UiT is available by contacting:
Professor and Centre Leader Torbjørn Eltoft
- phone: +47 77 64 51 84
- email: email@example.com
Associate Professor and Acting Head of Department Stian Normann Anfinsen
- phone: +47 77 64 51 73
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must document scientific knowledge at high international standard and experience in executing independent original research in Earth observation and remote sensing.
- The assessment will emphasise scientific publications in internationally recognised peer review journals.
- We will assess your outreach merits. Documented ability to attract external funding is an advantage. We expect you to secure substantial additional funding through national or international grants.
- Norwegian doctoral degree or a corresponding foreign doctoral degree, or competence at a corresponding level documented by academic work of the same scope and quality.
- You will interact with other groups at the university as well as internationally. You must be able to work systematically, independently and have the ability to work in an interdisciplinary research team.
- You must be fluent in English, and have a good command of Norwegian, Swedish or Danish, or must be willing to learn Norwegian within a reasonable period.
The assessment will emphasize motivation and personal suitability for the position, including ability for communication and collaborative work. Commitment to the department’s standard for teaching quality, recruitment and public outreach activities is expected. You must be willing to engage in the ongoing development of the discipline, and the university as a whole.
Teaching qualifications are not mandatory, but documented teaching qualifications and experience is an advantage. You must participate in the teaching of general physics and technology courses to students from undergraduate to postgraduate levels, including providing supervision of master and doctoral thesis projects.
You can document teaching qualifications by submitting a teaching portfolio. By exception, the committee may determine that the applicant’s practical teaching skills is of equal value to formal teaching qualifications. For further information about the teaching portfolio and requirements for teaching qualifications, see the website for basic pedagogical competence.
If you lack formal teaching qualifications, you must participate in the formal pedagogical training program to qualify for a permanent position. Then you must develop an approved teaching portfolio before the final tenure assessment.
The tenure-track programme
The overall purpose of the review system is to ensure and maintain the high academic standards of the university’s senior faculty staff. To help meet these standards, we offer you two mentors.
In the tenure-track programme, you will be subject to two types of reviews during the tenure-track period:
- a mid-career assessment after 3 years
- a final tenure assessment after 6 years
Given a positive outcome of the final tenure assessment, you will be appointed to a permanent full-time professor position. UiT assess professorial competence according to our own and national regulations, and guidelines decided by the National Faculty Meeting of MST disciplines.
In addition to the national requirements for qualification as full professor, the following requirements are set for permanent appointment in this professor position:
- You should, in the tenure period, have applied to and had positive outcomes of applications to the Research Council of Norway and/or EU.
- You should, in the tenure period, demonstrate scientific quality through publications in high-ranked international journals and a have increasing citation rate.
- You should, in the tenure period, demonstrate visibility through international collaboration in terms of common research projects, publications, and exchange activities.
- You should, in the tenure period, demonstrate devotion to education by developing courses and course material, and arrange seminars.
- A challenging and stimulating working environment.
- A start-up package including two doctoral positions supporting your research activity. The research topic of the PhDs will be part of CIRFA’s research program, and defined in collaboration with the CIRFA team.
- Mentorship and administrative support.
- Support on applications for externally funded research projects.
- Good welfare arrangements for employees.
- Good arrangements for pension, insurance and loans in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The remuneration for Associate Professor is in accordance with the State salary scale code 1011.
A compulsory contribution of 2 % to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted.
The position requires participation in teaching and supervision corresponding to up to 25 % of the position. Taking part in teaching of the department’s regular undergraduate and graduate courses and being involved in supervision of PhD students and postdoctoral research fellows affiliated with CIRFA, will facilitate achievement of the required teaching experience for qualification as full professor. As a norm, we expect all employees in scientific positions to reserve 5 % of their working time for administrative tasks.
More information about moving to Norway: http://uit.no/mobility
Your application must include:
- Application letter
- CV including list of all academic works
- Diplomas and transcripts
- Teaching portfolio
- If you don’t have documented pedagogical competence: Form for teaching qualifications
- Description of your academic production, stating which works you consider most important
- Academic works, up to ten. The doctoral thesis counts as one work.
Documentation have to be in English or a Scandinavian language. Submit applications electronically through Jobbnorge.
An expert committee will assess the applicants. The main emphasis will be on the submitted scientific work and your potential for excellence in research. Teaching qualifications, popularisation/ dissemination, your experience in obtaining external research grants, and policy and administration work is also included.
We will invite the best-qualified applicants to an interview and trial lecture. The interview shall among other things aim to clarify the applicant’s personal suitability and motivation for the position.
We make appointments in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and guidelines at UiT. At our website, you will find more information for applicants.
UiT wishes to increase the proportion of females in senior research positions. Female applicants gets priority, in the event that two or more applicants are approximately equally qualified.
UiT has HR policy objectives that emphasize diversity, and encourages all qualified applicants to apply regardless of their age, gender, functional ability and national or ethnic background. The university is an IW (Inclusive Workplace) enterprise, and emphasize making the necessary adaptations to the working conditions for employees with reduced functional ability.
We process personal data in accordance with the Personal Data Act. You may request to not be registered on the public list of applicants, but the University may decide that your name will be made public. You will receive advance notification in the event of such publication.
UIT THE ARCTIC UNIVERSITY OF NORWAY
NO - 9037 TROMSØ
- Søknadsfrist19. september 2017
- ArbeidsgiverUiT Norges arktiske universitet
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - UiT Norges arktiske universitet
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Troms