UNIS is a state-owned limited company with five of Norway’s universities represented on the board. We are located in a modern working environment in Longyearbyen, Svalbard, and are well equipped with both technical and scientific equipment and laboratories. The institution has an infrastructure for both marine and terrestrial field, lab and experimental research. The studies at UNIS are marketed internationally and all classes are offered in English. Approximately half of the staff and students are from abroad.
Professor/Associate Professor in Quaternary geology
The Department of Arctic Geology is seeking candidates for a full-time, permanent position as Professor/Associate Professor in Quaternary geology. Currently the department constitutes 3 professors, 5 associate professors, 11 PhD students and 11 adjunct professors (20 % position). UNIS carries significant responsibilities in research and education, with a curriculum that includes training of Master and Doctorate students. The importance of field studies is stressed at all levels throughout the teaching programs.
Description of the vacant position and qualifications
We seek a candidate with a strong international research profile in terrestrial Quaternary geology and paleoclimate reconstructions to complement and strengthen the department’s research and education profile. The Quaternary geology research at UNIS is focused on glacial geology, geomorphology and sedimentology, both in the terrestrial
and marine environments.
Teaching and supervising experience in the department’s core subjects is vital for the position. The successful candidate is expected to take responsibility for the graduate course “The Quaternary Climate History of the Arctic” (AG326/826) and shared responsibility for the AG348/848 “Arctic Late Quaternary Glacial and Marine Environmental History”. The candidate is also expected to supervise student projects at all levels and to contribute within her/his expertise to other courses taught in the department.
Arctic fieldwork experience, especially from Svalbard, is desired due to the strong fieldwork focus at UNIS; research and teaching involve year-round field activities that exploit the geographic location of Svalbard, which offers an excellent opportunity for studies of geology and physical geography in the High Arctic. The candidate should document her/his field-based research and teaching experience.
In the application, the candidate should document:
- Pedagogical competence, history of teaching and supervision on bachelor, master and PhD level.
- Success in obtaining research funding.
- History of managing both research projects and education (designing, leading and coordinating courses).
- Plans of future research.
- The applicant must be able to document his/her qualifications as Associate Professor or full Professor. The minimum requirement to be considered for the position as Associate Professor is a PhD in an appropriate field. Professor qualifications must be documented, as UNIS does not evaluate applicants for professorships.
Employment conditions for faculty positions at UNIS
At the time sixty per cent of the working time of full-time faculty at UNIS is reserved for research and professional development. In addition, staff is required to be involved in education, administration and be willing to contribute to the development of UNIS in a more general sense.
- Free arrival passage for you and your family, and relocation expenses associated with initiation of the engagement.
- Annual holiday travel grant, in accordance with current regulations.
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Pension Fund.
- Favorable conditions for sabbatical leave.
All salaries are set in accordance with the Norwegian government’s University salary scale. The position as professor follows code 1013, and is normally remunerated with a minimum gross salary from NOK 609 300 to NOK 789 700 per year. The position as associate professor follows code 1011, and is normally remunerated with a minimum gross salary from NOK 488 900 to NOK 636 200 per year. In special cases a higher salary step can be considered.
The salaries are depending on experience/seniority. As resident of Svalbard, an annual allowance of NOK 32 000 (Svalbardtillegg) will be added to staff salaries. A social Security contribution of 2 per cent to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted from the salary. Income tax on Svalbard is 8 per cent, plus 8.2 per cent toward National Insurance coverage.
Selection and appointment
A scientific committee will evaluate the applications. Based on the report, an interview committee will invite the top ranked applicant(s) for a trial lecture and an interview. The appointment will be made by the Board, based on the recommendation from the committees and an appointment committee. As UNIS would like to increase the percentage of females in academic positions, women are especially invited to apply.
Inquiries about this position may be directed to: Head of department, Prof. Hanne H. Christiansen (+47 79 02 33 20, email@example.com).
Deadline for applications is the 15.08.17
Please apply online on www.jobbnorge.no
At the end of the form, please attach:
- a full list of publications & previously held grants
- education, pedagogic or teaching certificates (including a list of previously supervised graduate and PhD students, where applicable)
- five publications (authored or co-authored by the candidate) that you want to have evaluated for consideration for appointment to this position
The committee could ask for further documentation or copies of parts or the complete scientific production described by the applicants.
You can request to have your application kept from public access cf. the open files act § 25. The request must be explained. UNIS will determine if the application will be kept from public access or not, based on the explanation and the regulations from the open files act. If the application will not be accepted, the candidate will be contacted.
- Søknadsfrist15. august 2017
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - UNIS
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Svalbard