The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
The Department of Biosciences (IBV) is a research and education department at the University of Oslo. The Department has one Centre of Excellence and four research sections. The Department has 52 faculty members and associate professors, and approximately 190 PhD students, post docs and researchers, in addition to technical and administrative staff. The working environment is international, and scientists from over 30 countries contribute to the working environment. The Department aims to maintain high international standards both within research and teaching.
IBV offers research-based education within several aspects of bioscience, including ecology, behavioural ecology, evolution, physiology, microbiology, biochemistry, biomedicine, genetics, bioinformatics and biotechnology. Around 380 students are enrolled in bachelor’s programs, and 90 in master’s programs.
Head Engineer at Electron Microscopy Core Facility
A one year temporary position (with the possibility of an extension/permanent position) as Head Engineer at the Electron Microscopy Core Facility, Department of Biosciences.
The Electron Microscopy Laboratory (EML) is a core facility that provides a service for the research groups at the Department of Biosciences and groups from other departments at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Other users include researchers from the Faculty of Medicine, external research institutions and industrial companies. The EML offers access to conventional as well as cutting edge electron microscopy techniques. When necessary the EML is also developing new methods for both transmission and scanning electron microscopy (TEM and SEM) sample preparation.
The successful candidate will integrate in this technically challenging environment.
The major tasks of the technical officer at the EML will be:
- performing sample preparation techniques for TEM and SEM including low temperature methods for both types of microscopes
- performing cryo-and plastic-sectioning
- performing immunolabelling
- imaging at ambient and low temperatures using both SEM and TEM
- technical maintenance of the SEM and the 3 TEM (basic trouble shooting)
The successful candidate will directly participate in research projects and will be responsible for training of students and post docs and is required to teach on the EML courses. A certain involvement in the maintenance of the EML, contact and follow-up with users, purchase of reagents will be necessary.
Qualifications and Experience
The applicants must have a Bachelor degree (or an equivalent technical degree), experience in electron microscopy, sample preparation methods and a technical interest in electron microscopes. (S)he is interested in new developments and innovations in electronmicroscopy and able to work reliably, efficiently and responsibly in an open multi-user environment and has very good communication skills. Experience in running an EM facility is not required but would be advantageous.
Position code 1087, Salary: NOK 462 000 - 556 700 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority.
The application must include:
- Application letter
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system.
In accordance with the University of Oslo’s equal opportunities policy, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity.
UiO has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
For further information please contact:
Professor Norbert Roos, phone +47 22856191, email Norbert.firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the recruitment system, please contact HR Officer Torunn Standal Guttormsen, phone:+47 22854272, email: email@example.com
- Søknadsfrist1. august 2017
- ArbeidsgiverUniversity of Oslo
- Intern-ID2017/4987 - 1087
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - University of Oslo
- Ledige stillinger - Ingeniøryrker
- Ledige stillinger - Offentlige tjenester / Forvaltning
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Oslo