NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
PhD research fellowship position in CINELDI
Centre for intelligent electricity distribution (CINELDI) is a cross-disciplinary research Centre for Environment-friendly Energy Research (FME) awarded by the Research Council of Norway.
CINELDI will facilitate renewable energy, electrification of transport and more efficient use of energy.
CINELDI will contribute to designing the future's flexible and robust electrical distribution grid at an acceptable cost.
IE-063-2017: Development of risk indicators, reliability and vulnerability models for the combined power and ICT system
Short description: The increasing uncertainties in the future distribution system call for a high level, top down approach to be applied by the DSOs in order to assess the risks. At the same time, new components and technologies will provide new information for enhanced accuracy in the risk models, and new possibilities will be provided by automation, self-healing and islanding of microgrids in interplay with the distribution system. To control the effect of interdependencies and new threats and vulnerabilities on the uninterrupted power supply, methods to monitor and manage the risks are needed. This candidate will work with development of indicators for risk and vulnerabilities in future smart distribution grids.
Formal requirements: The position requires a Master of Science degree with specialization within reliability and vulnerability, power systems or smartgrids. The PhD will require knowledge within both Electric Power Engineering and Telematics, so the candidate needs to have strong willingness to strengthen his/her background where necessary.
PhD: We seek a highly motivated and excellent candidate with a MSc or education at the equivalent level compliant with the research field of the position. According to the formal PhD regulations, average grade B or better is required. Personal suitability will be emphasised.
We will prioritize candidates based on the following criteria:
- Excellent communication skills - written and oral.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in team.
The PhD will be working in a cross-disciplinary team, covering a broad set of challenges in modernising the distribution grid. A more detailed description about the position can be found at http://www.sintef.no/projectweb/cineldi/positions/
The position is marked with a reference code, IE 063-2017, which must be used to refer to the position for which the application applies to. The PhD position is for 3 years, but can be extended up to 4 years with 25% teaching assistance in agreement with the host department.
Applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
Formal regulations for PhD
Appointments are made in accordance with the regulations in force regarding terms of employment for PhD candidates issued by the Ministry of Education and Research, with relevant parts of the additional guidelines for appointment as a PhD candidate at NTNU. Applicants must undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme of study during their period of employment. The person who is appointed must comply with the conditions that apply at any time to employees in the public sector. In addition, a contract will be signed regarding the period of employment.
Applicants must be qualified for admission as PhD students at NTNU. See http://www.ime.ntnu.no/forskning/phd for information about PhD studies at NTNU.
The PhD position is in code 1017 Research fellow, salary grade 50-62 in the Norwegian State salary scale, gross NOK 435100 - 535500 per year, depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
We can offer
- an informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- academic challenges
- attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
NTNU wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must be sent electronically via this page with information about education and relevant experience (all in one combined PDF file). Mark your application with the code indicated for the position.
The application should contain:
- The reference code (IE 063-2017) for the position
- Information about education, exams and previous relevant work/research experience (a CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
- Publications relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly state the applicant’s contribution. A short summary should be attached outlining the applicant’s input to joint work.
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
For further information about the application process, please contact:
Anne Bratseth (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Detailed description of the position can be found at: http://www.sintef.no/projectweb/cineldi/positions/
The application deadline is June 15, 2017.
- Søknadsfrist15. juni 2017
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Intern-IDIE 063-2017
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag