NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN THE ExiBiDa PROJECT
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/ie) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a 100 % position as a postdoctoral fellow in database systems or temporal information retrieval, within the area of querying spatio-temporal-textual data, at the Department of Computer Science (IDI) (http://www.ntnu.edu/idi).
The appointment is for a term oftwo years. The position of post-doctoral fellow is a fixed-term position with the primary objective of qualifying for work in top academic posts. The position represents an excellent opportunity for an individual to develop his/her career and contribute to the further development of the collaboration.
Information about the department
Currently there are 31 professors, 60 associate professors, 19 adjunct associate professors, 37 postdoctoral researchers, approx. 90 active ph.d. students, and 22 technical/administrative staff. Six of the tenured scientific positions are held by women, and eleven are from other countries than Norway. Research activities are organized into groups and strategic European and National projects as documented here http://www.ntnu.edu/idi/research.
The postdoc researcher will be a member of the ExiBiDa project team (https://www.ntnu.edu/idi/exibida/).
In ExiBiDa, we will focus on exploratory analysis and querying contents in Big Data, and in particular with developing frameworks and scalable techniques for supporting such analytical queries. The postdoc will work with challenges related to querying spatio-temporal-textual data, within one of the following areas:
- Efficient query processing of spatio-temporal-textual-data on Big Data frameworks (parallel and/or distributed query processing)
- Query processing on streaming spatio-temporal-textual data
- Mining spatio-temporal-textual dat
- Spatio-temporal information retrieval
We seek candidates who have a PhD in ICT or equivalent, with specialization related to databases, algorithms, or data mining, or temporal information retrieval. A strong publication record, with publications in top-level conferences and/or journals, is expected.
Besides personal qualities and the ability to work in team, we will prioritize candidates based on the following criteria:
- Solid experience with programming, preferably including scalable implementations of data-intensive systems
- Excellent communication skills - written and oral
- Ability to work independently and in team
Applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
In some circumstances (typically, in the case of PhD thesis in English), formal documentation of language skills can be relinquished. In such cases the candidate’s language skills will be assessed in a personal interview.
We can offer
- an informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- academic challenges in an international environment
- attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pensions in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our on-going research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
NTNU wants to increase the proportion of women in its scientific posts. Women are encouraged to apply.
The position of Post doctor is placed within code 1352 in the Norwegian State salary scale. Starting salary expected to be at minimum level 57; NOK 488,900 depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
As far as possible, the State workforce should reflect the diversity of the population. Goals of our personnel policy therefore include a balanced distribution in terms of age and gender as well as recruitment of people of immigrant background.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must contain:
- A cover letter including an explanation of how your research interests and background would fit the position
- Information about education, exams and previous relevant work/research experience (CV)
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates
- A Statement of Purpose (including a short presentation of the motivation for doing research within the areas of the project, and how the applicant sees his/her background suitable) (1-2 pages)
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Incomplete applications will be rejected.
The application must be sent electronically as one combined PDF file via this page (jobbnorge.no).
Potential successful candidates will be interviewed via Skype or other means.
For further information about the fellowship, please contact Professor Kjetil Nørvåg, e-mail: email@example.com.
For information about processing of applications, please contact Senior Executive Officer Anne Kristin Bratseth, phone +47 73 59 67 15, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark the application IE 062-2017
Deadline for applications: 2017-05-27
- Søknadsfrist27. mai 2017
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Intern-IDIE 062-2017
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag