NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
PhD position in Modelling and Control of the Aggregated Energy Flexibility of Buildings (IV-64/17)
A PhD scholarship is available within the Energy and Indoor Environment research group at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering (EPT) on the topic "Modelling and Control of the Aggregated Energy Flexibility of Buildings". The Energy and Indoor Environment group has a well-established expertise as regards energy supply systems and services in buildings. This PhD is part of the Norwegian FME research center on Zero Emission Neighborhoods in Smart Cities (ZEN). The main objective of the ZEN Centre is to develop knowledge, competitive products and solutions that will lead to realization of sustainable neighborhoods that have zero emissions of greenhouse gases related to their production, operation and transformation.
The PhD aims to develop modelling techniques suitable to characterize the aggregated energy flexibility of buildings and to control it in real-time. Energy Flexibility means the ability to manage energy demand, storage and generation according to local climate conditions, user needs and grid requirements. The objective is to assess energy flexibility at the aggregated level, i.e. neighbourhood level. The PhD focuses on the flexibility provided by the thermal energy demand, thus by the buildings' thermal mass, storage systems and the active heating and cooling systems. The PhD considers also the effects of local energy generation, both thermal and electric, on the flexibility. The aggregation of many buildings and the need for real-time optimisation require (and allow for) the simplification of the building thermal model. A main contribution of the thesis will therefore be on the combination of reduced-order models and model predictive controls.
- What are the relevant energy flexibility indicators for Norway, at the building and aggregated levels? What is the energy flexibility potential of typical Norwegian buildings?
- Which advanced controls, such as model predictive control, better activate this potential?
- Which modelling techniques are suitable for aggregation of several buildings and for real-time control?
- Know-how to quantify and simulate energy flexibility at building and aggregated level
- Know-how to determine heating and cooling loads at aggregated scale
- Determine/mapping of the energy flexibility potential at building and aggregated level (for example, for reduced delivered power, reduced cost for building operation)
- Pave the way for real implementation of advanced real-time control, such as model predictive control, inside (pilot) buildings.
- ZEN international research partners have developed on world-leading expertise in these areas (KULeuven, DTU, Fraunhofer ISE). The successful candidate is expected to make a research stay in one of these institutions.
- ZEN centre is also involved in the IEA EBC Annex 67 and IEA HPT Annex 49. The successful candidate will be involved in the IEA EBC Annex 67 and possibly in IEA HPT Annex 49.
- Key research areas: thermal dynamics of buildings, building performance simulation, model predictive control, model reduction techniques and system identification.
We seek a highly motivated candidate with a Master's degree (or equivalent) within HVAC systems for buildings, energy engineering or in applied mathematics (specifically in control). The candidate should present a strong interest for the modelling and simulation of complex dynamic systems as well as their control. A prior and concrete experience with the aforementioned disciplines will be considered as an advantage.
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross NOK 430,200 before tax. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage.
Engagement as a PhD Candidate is done in accordance with "Regulation concerning terms and conditions of employment for the posts of post-doctoral research fellow, research fellow, research assistant and resident", given by the Ministry of Education and Research of 19.07.2010. The goal of the positions is to obtain a PhD degree. Applicants will engage in an organized PhD training program, and appointment requires approval of the applicants plan for a PhD study within three months from the date of commencement.
The position is of 3 years duration.
For further information, please contact: Associate Professor Laurent Georges, tel. +47 73592484, email: email@example.com . For the work in ZEN, Senior Scientist Igor Sartori at SINTEF Building and Infrastructure, tel. +47 984 86 121, email: Igor.Sartori@sintef.no
See http://www.ntnu.edu/ivt/phd for more information.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Women are encouraged to apply.
The application must contain information of educational background and work experience. Certified copies of transcripts and reference letters should be enclosed. Applications with CV, grade transcripts and other enclosures should be submitted via this webpage at www.jobbnorge.no. Mark the application with IV-64/17.
Start-up date: tentatively 1st June 2017
Submission deadline: 15th of March 2017
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
This position will also be announced by the ZEN center.
- Søknadsfrist28. mars 2017
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- ArbeidsstedDepartment of Energy and Process Engineering
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - NTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- Ledige stillinger - Forskning / Utvikling
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Sør-Trøndelag