The University of Agder offers more than 150 study programmes and an active and leading research environment. We emphasize respect, openness and the ability to show commitment and pride concerning both your own and others’ results. Our 1200 staff and 12000 students enjoy daily life and scholarly activities at our modern and functional campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad.
Two Post-doctoral Research Fellows in Mathematics Education
The University of Agder invites applications for two full-time fixed-term appointments as Post-Doctoral Research Fellows in Mathematics Education (ME) each for a period of three years. For position (1) the starting date will be as soon as possible, for position (2) the starting date is 01.08.17 (negotiable). The location of the positions is at the Faculty of Engineering and Science either at Campus Kristiansand or Campus Grimstad.
Both positions are within the Centre of Excellence for Education: Centre for Research Innovation and Coordination of Mathematics Teaching, and Department of Mathematical Sciences. The Centre’s aim is to support and enrich teaching and learning mathematics in higher education, especially within ‘user programmes’ such as engineering, natural sciences, economics etc. and teacher education. Further information (in English) about the Centre can be found here. Information about the Department of Mathematical Sciences can be found here.
Principal tasks to be undertaken
- To undertake original research that contributes to the goals of the Centre; of special interest is the impact of innovation promoted within the Centre’s networks (see point 3 below) on students’ learning and development of mathematical competencies.
- To undertake a broad survey of published research and innovation relating to teaching and learning mathematics at higher education and produce a systematic catalogue of publications. To produce and publish literature reviews focusing on specific topics identified in the survey.
- To provide research assistance to the Centre’s networks. At present, there are networks focusing on five areas of innovation within mathematics teaching: Visualization & simulation; Computer aided assessment; Video teaching; mathematical modeling; and Mathematics teacher education.
- Position 1: To focus especially on teaching and learning mathematics in economics study programmes. This will include working with mathematics specialists and developing economics related resources that will support economics students’ in learning mathematics, and motivating their interest and engagement in mathematics. Work outlined in tasks 1 – 3 above will be related to teaching and learning mathematics on economics study programmes. It is expected that the person appointed in this position will work closely with colleagues in the University’s School of Business and Law. Some mathematics teaching within this study programme will be required.
- Position 2: To focus on one of the other areas of mathematics instruction at the University of Agder, these include: Pure Mathematics, Mathematics for Engineering, Mathematics for Natural Sciences, Mathematics for Teacher Education.
- Contribute to the mission of the Centre in networking and dissemination.
- Contribute in the writing of proposals to internal and external funding bodies.
This position is ideally suited for an early career researcher who wants to establish a firm and broad base for further research and scholarly activity in mathematics education, especially focused at teaching and learning mathematics at higher education level.
Applicants must be in possession of a doctorate in the field of mathematics education; a dissertation that relates to teaching and learning mathematics at university level will be a distinct advantage.
The candidate must hold a cand. scient. or master’s degree in Mathematics or Mathematics Education or other field with corresponding mathematics content. A strong background in mathematics is essential.
Applicants should be fluent in English and, it is desirable, one other major European language (e.g. German, French, Italian, Spanish). Knowledge of Norwegian or other Scandinavian language would be useful.
For Position 1: Evidence of substantial knowledge of economics is highly desirable. Applicants should be fluent in English and in Norwegian or other Scandinavian language.
Applicants from some countries must document their English proficiency through one of the following tests with the stated results or better:
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language with a minimum score of 550 on the Paper-based Test (PBT), or 80 on the Internet based Test (iBT)
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System, with a result of at least 6.0.
Please check this list to see if an English test is required. Possible categories of applicants from particular countries may be exempted. Please note that the English test requirement applies to applicants from most countries according to the list mentioned above. No other tests will be approved, and certifications/statements cannot replace a test.
Personal suitability and good teamwork skills will be emphasized in the evaluation as well as relevant practical experience. A sound publication record post-PhD is required. The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will be expected to contribute to an active research community. The position places great demands on the applicant’s capacity for independent goal-oriented work, ability to concentrate and attention to detail. Applicants will be assessed on the basis of academic background and results, attainment, and any previous research and development work.
Further provisions relating to the position as Post-doctoral Research Fellow can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the Post of Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant, and Resident.
It may be pertinent for the candidate to stay at an external institution or with a national or international partner for part of the period of employment.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interviews. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before appointment.
The positions are remunerated according to the State salary scale, salary plan 17.515, code 1352, NOK 489 300-577 400 gross per year. A 2 % compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
The Norwegian public service is committed to reflecting the diversity of society, and the personnel policy of the University of Agder aims to achieve a balanced workforce. All qualified persons are therefore encouraged to apply for the position, irrespective of cultural background, gender, age or disability.
Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions. The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the public service.
Submit your application and CV online. Please click on the link “Apply for this job”. The following documentation should be submitted as attachments to the online application:
- Certificates and/or grades for all post-secondary education, up to and including the bachelor's level
- Master's degree/higher degree certificate, with a summary of the courses/subjects included in the degree
- Doctoral degree certificate, with a summary of any courses that may have been taken as part of the degree
- Applicants with a foreign higher education must attach an official description of the grading system used at the issuing institution
- Abstract (approximately 1-2 pages – in English) of the doctoral dissertation
- Applicants who are required to document their English proficiency must submit their TOEFL or IELTS test results (these may be forwarded after the closing date); An additional assessment of English may be undertaken at the time of interview
- Summary and links to the applicant's scientific publications including doctoral dissertation
- A short project description (preliminary) that sets out strategies and designs to address the principal tasks 1-6 listed above
The application is expected to include an outline of the applicant’s research interests and background for the proposed project.
Applicants should make clear whether they are applying for Position 1 or Position 2. Further, applicants for position 1 should indicate whether they also wish their application to be considered for Position 2, which is unlikely to be strongly focused on teaching and learning economics.
Original documents must be presented for verification to the University of Agder together with the copies by the appointed Post-doctoral research fellow upon arrival at UiA. Successful candidates will be asked, normally during the interview, to ensure that the issuing university submits documents in a sealed envelope directly to UiA or provide that their documents are accessed online, which allows UiA to verify the authenticity of these electronic documents via a secure website hosted at the issuing university (contact person at UiA will be provided later for certain candidates).
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete documentation. Without complete documentation we cannot, unfortunately, include you in the assessment process.
All documentation of education must be in the original language and in English, Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish (if the original language is not one of these), and the translation should preferably be from the issuing university. Additional documentation must be in English, Norwegian, Swedish or Danish.
Closing date: 31.03.17
For further information please contact Professor Simon Goodchild, tel. (+47) 38 14 17 60, e-mail: email@example.com or Head of Department Elna Svege, tel. (+47) 38 14 17 78, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance with §25(2) of the Freedom of Information Act, applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the name of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
- Søknadsfrist31. mars 2017
- ArbeidsgiverUniversitetet i Agder
- KommuneGrimstad, Kristiansand
- Intern-IDRef. 16/17
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - Universitetet i Agder
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Aust-Agder
- Ledige stillinger - Vest-Agder