The University of Agder offers more than 150 study programmes and an active and leading research environment. We emphasize respect, openness and the ability to show commitment and pride concerning both your own and others’ results. Our 1200 staff and 12000 students enjoy daily life and scholarly activities at our modern and functional campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in ICT
The University of Agder invites applications for one full-time, fixed-term appointment as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Information and Communication Technology for a period of two years, with possible contract extension, subject to performance evaluation. This position is currently located at Campus Grimstad, Norway. The starting date is as soon as possible.
The Department of ICT has several active research groups in Information and Communication Technology including 12 Professors, 25 Associate Professors, 10 Assistant Professors and about 15 Research Fellows on the PhD Programme in ICT. The Department of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) pursues a variety of research interests, focusing especially on Wireless Communications and Embedded Systems, Data Analytics, Crisis management, e-Learning and e-Health. The department has successfully led a number of large research projects funded by the Research Council of Norway, the EU research programmes FP7 and H2020, as well as national and international industries.
The research in the Department of ICT is carried out by different research Divisions, which are further divided into research Labs. The herein announced positionwill be part of a recently established Lab, namely, the Intelligent Signal Processing & Wireless Networks (WISENET) Lab, led by Prof. Baltasar Beferull-Lozano. Currently, the WISENET Lab is in an expansion phase, having at present seven PhD students and three postdoctoral researchers working on different cutting edge research projects. The WISENET Lab is committed to achieving international research excellence, please see the notes about prospective Postoctoral researchers at WISENET before applying here.
The Postdoctoral position will be offered in the areas of heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN), Distributed Intelligence and Data Analytics, advancing both theoretical aspects and algorithm designs, and considering also applications in large-scale industrial distributed monitoring and control applications, by participating in highly interdisciplinary research projects.
Research topics for Postdoc position
Large-scale heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks and Cyber-Physical Networked Systems are becoming a technological cornerstone for many important applications in today’s society. These collections of autonomous and distributed nodes capable of sensing, communication, processing and self-organization are emerging as a new era of intelligent information-driven paradigms. On the other hand, the deployment of these networked systems in several industrial environments is generating tremendous streams of daily data in various formats and qualities, which describe the operation, condition, performance and status of a wide range of equipment. This represents not only an additional large volume of data to explore and the need for more efficient and scalable data analysis methods, but does also raise additional challenges on real-time stream data processing, distribution, storage and machine learning methods considering both centralized and decentralized data analytics.
Your research will investigate how to efficiently extract and process the information from different machinery and industrial components at different levels, exploit their correlated behaviors, utilizing novel adaptive methods for data mining and signal processing to predict and detect “unexpected” anomalies in system behavior or changes in the performance of different types of (sequential or in-loop) processes. This research is motivated in part by the demanding needs in several industrial environments, such as offshore Oil and Gas Platforms. The main goal is to evolve towards more self-organized autonomous operations, reducing the cost requirements, making systems smarter, more energy efficient and autonomous, minimizing the number of specialists that are required off-shore, as well as trading-off this optimally with the needs of communication between off-shore and on-shore, maximizing performance and providing also support to on-shore centers for high-level decisions.
The Postdoctoral position will be devoted to one or more of the following topics:
- Cross-layer schemes to improve the performance of different layers of the communication stack in sensor devices and cyber-physical systems
- Theoretical foundations, optimization algorithms and implementation platforms for critical tasks in data analytics
- Design, implementation and maintenance of a hierarchical sensor network Testbed, middleware and related web applications for monitoring and control.
Qualifications and requirements:
To be regarded as an eligible applicant, the candidate should have:
- A PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science (or similar). To be considered for the position, applicants must have either finished their PhD very recently, or should have deposited their PhD Thesis before the application deadline of this postdoctoral position (i.e. PhD defense scheduled for early 2017).
- Strong knowledge and experience in all or most of the following areas:
- Design and implementation of distributed algorithms for distributed intelligence in Wireless Sensor Networks or Cyber-Physical Systems.
- Design and implementation of wireless re-programming algorithms for sensor networks.
- MAC and routing techniques for power constrained devices.
- Testbeds and middleware design, including multiple and heterogeneous devices.
- Programming sensor devices using different operating systems, such as TinyOS, Contiki, etc…
- Programming in Matlab, C/C++, Java and Python.
Experience in other areas such as graph signal processing, convex optimization and statistical signal processing is also welcome.
Candidates should also have:
- Scientific ambition.
- Motivation and strong interest in cutting-edge research.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good team-working skills, inventiveness and a proactive attitude.
- A high level of oral and written proficiency in English is required.
The publication of scientific papers in high impact journals and first class international conferences related to the aforementioned topics will be also considered in the evaluation, as well as previous participation in national and European projects. Previous experience in Post-graduate teaching in some of the areas related to this position will be also a plus.
In return, we offer the opportunity to contribute to the strategic capabilities of a world-class research organization, working within an excellent research environment, training in a range of state-of-the-art scientific skills, intellectual property and project management skills. You will collaborate with top scientists in your field and have excellent prospects for personal development in an innovative working environment for aspiring researchers.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interviews. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before appointment.
Further provisions relating to the position as Post-doctoral Research Fellow can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the Post of Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant, and Resident.
The Norwegian public service is committed to reflecting the diversity of society, and the personnel policy of the University of Agder aims to achieve a balanced workforce. All qualified persons are therefore encouraged to apply for the position, irrespective of cultural background, gender, age or disability.
Women are especially encouraged to apply.
Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions. The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with current regulations for the public service and the position.
The position is remunerated according to the State salary scale, salary plan 17.510, code 1352 Postdoctor, salary 489 300-648 100 gross per year. A 2 % compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
Submit your application and CV online. Please click on the link “Apply for this job”. The following documentation should be submitted as attachments to the online application:
- Copies of certified diplomas and transcripts.
- Electronic copy or link to your PhD Thesis and Master’s Thesis
- Summary and links to your scientific publications
- A description of your research interests, motivation and background in line with the research associated with this position.
The applicants are fully responsible for submitting complete documentation within closing date. Without complete documentation we cannot, unfortunately, include you in the assessment process.
Closing date: 31.01.17
For further information please contact Professor Baltasar Beferull-Lozano, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org , tel: + 47 37 23 31 59 or Head of Department Professor Folke Haugland, e-mail email@example.com, tel. +47 37 23 31 12.
In accordance with §25(2) of the Freedom of Information Act, applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the name of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
- ArbeidsgiverUniversitetet i Agder
- Intern-IDRef. 148/16
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Ledige stillinger - Universitetet i Agder
- Ledige stillinger - Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Ledige stillinger - Aust-Agder