The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral position (2) in Computer Science
At the Department of Informatics there is vacancy for two postdoctoral research fellow positions in Computer Science. The positions are for a fixed term of 4 years.
About the Department
The Department of informatics has seven research groups that deliver research and education at a high international level in algorithms, bioinformatics, information security, machine learning, optimization, programming theory, and visualization. All the groups are successfully co-funded by research grants, among others by the European Research Council (ERC). The department offers state of art education at Bachelor, Master and PhD levels.
About the work tasks
All employees are expected to contribute to excellence through high quality research and teaching. The successful candidate will conduct research within one of the research groups of our department. The successful candidate will spend 25% of the working time to tasks related to teaching, outreach, profiling and recruitment of students. The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at the University of Bergen has renewable energy as one of its main research focus areas. We are particularly interested in applicants who have interest and experience in applications of their research in areas related to renewable energy, like offshore wind energy, future transportation systems, or other relevant areas.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree in computer science, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience from research and publication within one of the research fields: algorithms, bioinformatics, machine learning, optimization, programming theory, information security and visualization is a requirement.
- Experience or interest in contributing to research with applications in areas related to renewable energy is an advantage.
- Experience from teaching is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English
- Good command of the Norwegian language is an advantage.
- Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The postdoctoral position is a fixed term position with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution. Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a progress plan. It is a requirement that the planned activities are completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
A good and professionally challenging working environment
Salary at pay grade 59 - 65 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 3) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 515 200 – 576 100. Further promotions are made according to length of service.
Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
A position in an inclusive workplace (IW)
Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
A brief project description explaining the research questions that the applicant is planning to work on, why these are important, and how one plans to solve them.
The names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at jobbnorge.no by February 5, 2019.
For further details about the position, please contact Head of Department, Professor Pinar Heggernes.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
Upon the expiry of the closing date for applications, an evaluation committee will be appointed. As an applicant, you have a right of access to the committee’s description of your formal and professional qualifications. If you wish to take advantage of this right of access, please contact the executive officer in charge after receiving information about the appointment of the evaluation committee.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineTuesday, February 5, 2019
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID161306
- Internal ID2018/13184
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland