Doctoral Research Fellowship in Philosophy of Education at UiT The arctic University of Norway
One Doctoral Research Fellowship (PhD) within (subject) is available in the Department of Education at the University of Tromsø – The Arctic University of Norway (UiT). The position is affiliated to the research group Philosophy of Education.
The appointment is a fixed term position for a period of four years. The purpose of the PhD Research Fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a doctoral dissertation to be defended publically. The candidate will be affiliated with the Faculty's organized research training, and the academic work must result in a doctoral thesis aiming to obtain the degree of PhD within the period of employment. Admission to a PhD programme is a prerequisite for employment, and the programme period starts on commencement of the position.
The successful candidate must meet the requirements for admission to the Faculty’s PhD program, cf. § 6 of UiT’s PhD regulations. Moreover, the applicant must prove English language proficiency equivalent to the standards of Norwegian Higher Education Entrance Qualification, see PhD Regulations UiT.
For more information, see also uit.no/hsl/phd
For further information about the position (and the project), please contact Professor Mariann Solberg, phone +47 77 64 59 16, e-mail: email@example.com or Head of Studies Ellen Karoline Dahl, phone +47 77 66 04 58, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Department of Education has approx. 200 employees in scientific and administrative positions, and approximately 2000 students following our various courses. The department conducts teaching and research in educational science / pedagogy and special education, and additionally covers the full range of teacher education from kindergarten to elementary school and secondary education. The candidate will be part of an active and committed environment of approximately 30 PhD fellows at the department. In the period 2012-2022, the department, together with the University of Oslo, hosts Centre for Professional learning in Teacher education (ProTed), the first Center of Excellence in Education in Norway.
The position is connected to the research group "Philosophy of Education”. The research group aims to contribute to the development of a pedagogical philosophy of societal relevance, and the group's empirical research fields include education, childhood and minorities. Furthermore, it is a goal to strengthen research on pedagogical foundation problems at the Department of Teacher Education and Pedagogy, where preschool teacher education, teacher education and higher education are central research and development fields, in addition to disciplinary pedagogical research fields. The goals are to be reached through analysis of contemporary empirical circumstances in a pedagogical-philosophical perspective, and also through rethinking and renewal of the theoretical and philosophical foundation of education.
The appointed Doctoral Research Fellowship must have her/his daily workplace at the UiT, campus Tromsø.
The position’s field of research/research project
In general, highlighting cultural and social conditions and phenomena on basis of pedagogical-philosophical perspectives contribute to a better understanding of the phenomena as well as contribute to the renewal of educational concepts and theory. The position is primarily related to one of the following two research areas:
1. Issues related to education in general and equal rights to education in particular. One goal is to develop theoretical insight into the field. Based on research questions, empirical data and theory, the candidate can choose between different pedagogical philosophical approaches, such as a conceptual or discourse analytical approach. Development of theory can be linked to central concepts such as justice, equality, participation or to empirical data related to dichotomies such as power / powerlessness, privileged / underprivileged, majority / minority.
2. Bildung in research supervision in higher education. One goal is to develop new knowledge about how supervision is being conducted with regard to the development of academic Bildung in students. Another goal is to develop new theoretical approaches for supervision. Empirical inputs may include mapping of supervisor's practice, studies of text development and / or student interviews. The development of theory can be linked to the concepts of supervision or academic Bildung, or to terms such as autonomy, authenticity, critical thinking, reflexive judgment, deliberative communication.
We ask the applicants to design a project sketch within one of these two areas, but projects designed in other areas will also be considered.
The position requires a Master`s degree in pedagogy/educational science, philosophy, or a related discipline, or a foreign degree recognised as equivalent to a Norwegian Master`s degree.
For more information, see also: Supplementary regulations HSL.
Applicants must master Norwegian or other Scandinavian languages, both verbally and in writing, or must be prepared to learn Norwegian.
In addition, he/she must be able to document proficiency in English equivalent to Norwegian Higher Education Entrance Qualification, refer to the website about PhD Regulations UiT.
Personal suitability will be emphasised.
The normal period of employment is four years. The nominal length of the PhD programme is three years. The fourth year, distributed as 25 % of each year, is reserved for teaching or other academic duties within the university. Please consult PhD Regulations UiT for further information. The position will especially be assigned teaching duties within (field of study).
The appointee will teach subjects in educational philosophy in the bachelor's and master's program in Education.
A shorter period of appointment may be decided upon if the applicant has already completed parts of his/her research training programme or if the appointment is based on a previous qualifying position (PhD Candidate, research assistant, or the like) in such a way that the research training amounts to a total of three years.
Remuneration for the position of PhD Candidate is in accordance with the State salary scale code 1017. A compulsory contribution of 2 % to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted.
The application must be submitted electronically via the application form available on www.jobbnorge.no. Applications by e-mail are not accepted.
The application must include the following attachments:
- letter of application
- project description. Please see further information concerning the template for project description
- CV (containing a complete overview of education, supervised professional training and professional work)
- diploma and transcript of records from Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- diploma and transcript of records from Master’s degree or equivalent
- diploma supplement for other completed degrees
- documentation of English language proficiency
- list of 2-3 academic referees, including contact details (name, relation to applicant, e-mail address and phone number)
- Master`s Thesis
- other works (published or unpublished) which the applicant wishes to be taken into consideration during the assessment process and a description of these.
The list of works should contain the following information:
- author(s), title of work
- for articles: the name of the journal and volume, first and last page of the article, year of publication
- for book or other independent publications: publisher, place of print, year of publication, number of pages
The project description should not exceed five pages. The description must cover theme, main objective and research questions, method and examples of central literature in the project. By appointment the project description will be further developed in close cooperation with the project’s supervisors.
All documentation must be certified and translated into English or a Scandinavian language in order to be assessed.
Information and material to be considered during the assessment must be submitted within the stipulated deadline.
The applicants will be assessed by an expert committee. During this assessment process, emphasis will be attached to the applicant’s potential for research as shown by:
- Master’s Thesis or equivalent
- other academic works, and
- project description
In addition, consideration may be given to work experience or other activities of significance for the implementation of the PhD research. This includes teaching education, teaching experience, experience from public outreach and experience/education from other types of dissemination.
The best qualified applicants will be selected for interviews. The interview shall among other things aim to clarify the applicant’s personal suitability for the position.
Applicants are also asked to consult the supplementary regulations concerning terms and conditions of employment for the position of postdoctor, research fellow and research assistant at UiT.
Questions concerning the organisation of the working environment, such as the physical state of the place of employment, health service, possibility for flexible working hours, part time, etc. as well as questions about the PhD programme may be directed to the telephone reference in this announcement.
UiT’s HR policy objectives emphasises diversity, and encourages all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, functional ability and national or ethnic background.
UiT is an IW (Inclusive Workplace) enterprise, and will make the necessary adaptations in order to facilitate for employees with reduced functional ability.
Personal data given in an application or CV will be processed in accordance with the Act relating to the processing of personal data (the Personal Data Act). In accordance with Section 25 subsection 2 of the Freedom of Information Act, the applicant may request not to be registered on the public list of applicants. However, the University may nevertheless decide to publish the applicant’s name. The applicant will receive advance notification in the event of such publication.
In case of discrepancies between the Norwegian and the English version of this description, the Norwegian version takes precedence.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.
About this job
- DeadlineThursday, October 25, 2018
- EmployerUiT The Arctic University of Norway
- Jobbnorge ID157521
- Internal ID2018/3734
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Troms