The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Arctic Paleoceanography
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position at the Department of Earth Science within Arctic Paleoceanography. The position is for a fixed term of up to 3 years (where the last three months are dependent on the candidate’s qualifications and needs) and is associated with the Nansen Legacy Project, financed by NFR.
About the project/work tasks
The position will involve paleoceangraphic reconstructions using stable isotopes and trace metal proxies in foraminifera. We are seeking a candidate with first hand experience with, and applied knowledge of, foraminifera taxonomy and transfer function techniques, operating a gas source mass spectrometer, and analysing and interpreting d18O, d13C, and trace metals (e.g. Mg/Ca) in foraminifera. The candidate will be responsible for SST (Mg/Ca) and isotope reconstructions in sediment cores recovered as part of the Nansen Legacy cruise.
- Foraminifera identification and preparation for isotope and trace metal analysis
- Co-supervision of master students
- Data interpretation and cross disciplinary collaboration with other project participants
- Participation in the Nansen Legacy Cruise (if possible)
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within Earth Science or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The applicant must have hands-on experience in isotope geochemistry.
- The applicant must have good knowledge of forminifera taxonomy, and have applied experience in transfer function based SST reconstructions.
- The applicant should have previous experience applying trace metal (Mg/Ca) proxies in foraminifera.
- Candidates with previous experience (and publications) within North Atlantic and/or Arctic Paleoceanography of the late Quaternary will be preferred.
- Previous experience co-supervising master students is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The postdoctoral position is a fixed term position with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. If the appointee lacks teaching experience, or other relevant qualifications, the employment period may be increased from 2 years and 9 months to 3 years. Teaching and other duties will in such cases be added to the position. The department will fund the extra months. The position may be extended by up to one year (maximum 4 years in total) if the appointee is granted externally financed research stays abroad. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
For postdoctoral reseach fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of the project proposal for the qualifying work, as well as a progress plan, will be developed in cooperation with the supervisor and head of department. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary at pay grade 59 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 3) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 515 200,-. Further promotions are made according to length of service.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IW)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Dr. Ulysses Ninnemann, Department of Earth Science and Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, Tel. +47 55 583521, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
Upon the expiry of the closing date for applications, an evaluation committee will be appointed. As an applicant, you have a right of access to the committee’s description of your formal and professional qualifications. If you wish to take advantage of this right of access, please contact the executive officer in charge after receiving information about the appointment of the evaluation committee.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineWednesday, October 3, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID157443
- Internal ID18/9480
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland