The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD position at The Faculty of Social Sciences
At the University of Bergen, there is a vacancy for a 3 year PhD position at Department of administration and organization theory.The position is connected to the research and innovation the project: TROPICO – Transforming into Open Innovative and Collaborative Governments. TROPICO is funded by the Horizon 2020 framework program of the European Union.
The TROPICO project examines how governments and public administrations in Europe work and transforms to enhance collaboration in policy design and service delivery, advancing the participation of public, private and societal actors. Central to the project is how digitalization, information and communications technologies (ICT), and new digital tools contribute to collaboration - in public administration, between government and citizens, and between public administration and organizations in the private or the voluntary sectors. TROPICO studies this through comparative case studies from several countries, including Norway, and through interviews and questionnaires to experts and those working in or with the public administration.
The TROPICO project is coordinated from the Department of administration and organization theory at the University of Bergen and has 12 partners in 10 European countries. For more information: www.tropico-project.eu
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- You must hold a master degree in public administration, political science or other relevant master from the social sciences, or have submitted your master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- A high academic standard of your education and thesis/publications is expected. The requirements for the PhD position are generally grade B or better, on both the master thesis and on the master degree in total.
- You must be able to work independently and in a structured manner. You must have excellent collaborative skills, a high working capacity, and you will be expected to contribute to the TROPICO project.
- You must be proficient in both written and oral. English
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in August.
About the PhD position
The PhD position is for 3 years, with no mandatory duties in the form of teaching. The PhD Candidate is expected to contribute actively to the research activities in TROPICO.
As a PhD in TROPICO you will be part of an established network of PhDs, post-doctors, and senior researchers from 10 European countries. You will also be a part of the PhD group at the Department of administration and organization theory and participate in the Doctoral education at the Faculty of the Social Sciences.
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of the achieved grades from previous education/written work/thesis, the application and the submitted project proposal. Emphasis will be placed on the project proposal and its fit to TROPICO’s main topic and interests.
We ask that you to please submit your master thesis as an example of previous written work.
The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position.
About the research training:
As a PhD research fellow you will take part in the doctoral educational programme at UoB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the submission of the PhD dissertation. To be eligible for admission you must have completed a Master’s degree. The educational background must be equivalent to a five-year Master’s education, including a two-year Master’s degree and a Master thesis. It is expected that the topic of the Master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 436 900,- per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. A budget of running costs should be included. Admittance to the PhD-programme will be based on the research proposal.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Your master’s thesis
- If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The application has to be marked: 18/6988
Closing date: August 6, 2018
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Questions or additional information about TROPICO should be directed to project leader Associate Professor Lise H. Rykkja, e-mail email@example.com, phone +47 55589775.
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to adviser Beathe Moldestad, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +47 55 58 90 56.
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the doctoral education program at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Further information about the program is available on the webpage http://www.uib.no/en/svf/37940/doctoral-education. Questions about the program may be directed to senior officer Hanne Gravermoen, e-mail: email@example.com, phone: +47 55 58 90 68.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineMonday, August 6, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID154185
- Internal ID18/6988
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland