The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD Research Fellow at the Department of Sociology
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of Sociology. The position is for a
fixed-term period of 4 years, of which 25% will be dedicated to teaching, supervision
and administrative tasks at the Department.
The Department of Sociology is part of an extensive social science environment at The
Faculty of Social Sciences and collaborates with other sociology departments nationally and
internationally. The comprehensive teaching programs include a one-year sociology
program; a Bachelor-; a Master-, and a PhD program. The current research at the
department represents a broad profile that is based on long term research traditions. Applicants are asked to familiarize themselves with the research profile of the department in
the design of the project: http://www.uib.no/en/sosio/38031/research-profile .
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master's degree or the equivalent in sociology. The degree has to be completed by the application deadline
- The requirements are generally a grade B or better on Master thesis and for the Master degree in total
- As an applicant you should be independent, have a considerable work capacity as well as an enthusiasm for research.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the department for an interview.
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position.
About the research training:
As a PhD research fellow you will take part in the doctoral educational program at UoB. The program corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the submission of the PhD dissertation. To be eligible for admission you must have completed a Master’s degree. The educational background must be equivalent to a five-year Master’s education, including a two-year Master’s degree and a Master thesis. It is expected that the topic of the Master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 436 900 per year, the salary is currently being adjusted). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. A budget of running costs should be included. Admittance to the PhD-program will be based on the research proposal.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
- If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The application has to be marked: 18/6345
Closing date: August 19, 2018
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Liv Johanne
Syltevik, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , tlf + 47 5558 9169
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to senior officer Even Michal Endresen, e-mail: email@example.com .
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the doctoral education program at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Further information about the program is available on the webpage http://www.uib.no/en/svf/37940/doctoral-education. Questions may be directed to senior officer Hanne Gravermoen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The teaching language will usually be Norwegian.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, August 19, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID154108
- Internal ID18/6345
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland