The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD position within microbial ecology
At the University of Bergen, there is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of Earth Science within microbial metagenomics. The position is connected to the K.G. Jebsen Centre for Deep Sea Research and is for a fixed-term period of 4 years.
About the project/work tasks
The K. G. Jebsen Centre for Deep Sea Research represents an integrated, multi-disciplinary environment with researchers and students from both the Department of Earth Science and Department of Biological Sciences. The overall goal of the PhD project is to provide in-depth analysis of the functional diversity of uncultivated microbial lineages in deep sea hydrothermal systems in order to understand their role in microbial biogeography and biogeochemical cycling. The project will focus on state-of-the art bioinformatics for genome-centric metagenomics of the hydrothermal vent microbiome aiming to reconstruct complete or near complete genomes of archaeal and bacterial lineages and for placing the lineages/genomes in the tree of life using phylogenomics. Training in advanced bioinformatics tools will be given for investigating the metabolic functions and understanding the roles and/or ecological significance of the vastly un-explored microbiomes in deep-sea hydrothermal systems. The main study area is the vent fields located at the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or equivalent in microbiology, molecular biology / genetics or bioinformatics, or must have submitted his/her master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Documented skills in microbial physiology or ecology is a requirement.
- Experience with microbial (meta)genomics and/or fluorescence microscopy is an advantage.
- Experience in working in an interdisciplinary environment is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the PhD position
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises required duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a PhD position.
About the research training
As a PhD Candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 50 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 8) in the state salary scale (the salary in the public sector is currently being reviewed). Further promotions are made according to qualifications and length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- the names and contact information for two references. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis.
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- relevant certificates/references.
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
For further details about the position, please contact:
Professor Ida Helene Steen, University of Bergen, email@example.com, tel. +47 55588375
Researcher Runar Stokke, University of Bergen, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +47 55583861
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about the employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, July 1, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID153802
- Internal ID18/1683
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland