The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Information Science
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position in information science at The Department of Information Science and Media Studies. The position is for a period of four years of which 25% is allocated to teaching and administrative duties at The Department.
The Department of Information Science and Media Studies (www.uib.no/infomedia) was established in 2004 by merging the former Department of Information Science and Department of Media Studies. The staff counts about 80 people, including 30 permanent faculty members and approximately 20 PhD and postdoc positions. The Department offers separate Bachelor- and Master-programs in both information science and media studies, as wells as programs in Film and TV-production, Journalism and media- and interaction design located in the recently established media cluster Media City Bergen. The Faculty of Social Sciences is stakeholder in Finance Innovation, an interdisciplinary cluster in finance technology located in Bergen. The Department is one of several academic partners in the cluster, also involving industry partners from finance, insurance and technology.
The information science research at the department is organized in three research groups: Interaction Research Group, Semantic and Social Information Systems, and Logic, information and interaction. The Department aims to strengthen research and teaching in artificial intelligence and machine learning and is currently recruiting new faculty members in these areas.
About the project/work tasks
For this position we are looking for a candidate with research interest in artificial intelligence, machine learning, or distributed ledger technology. In particular we welcome applicants that combines research in these areas with finance technology. The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Finance Innovation cluster and will develop research collaboration between the department and the cluster. Furthermore, the successful candidate is expected to contribute to and the development of our teaching in the research areas mentioned above.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within information sciences or equivalent. The applicant must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience from artificial intelligence, machine learning or blockchain technology.
- Work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English.
Potential candidates may be invited to the department for an interview, and might be asked to hold a trial lecture in a given topic.
Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the teaching and research profile at the Department, please see www.uib.no/infomedia.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 4 years (for appointments exceeding two years, the employer will decide whether the employee will be instructed to perform mandatory duties in the form of teaching work and equivalent work and the scope of this). Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
A research proposal of 4-5 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should contain a progress plan for the different parts of the research work, as well as a plan regarding publishing. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
A budget must be set up for operating expenses.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 57-60 (code 1352) on the government salary scale upon appointment (equivalent to NOK 490 900,- - NOK 517 700,- per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IW).
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references.
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
In cases of scientific work in paper version, this must be sent as ordinary post, sorted in 3 folders, to the University of Bergen, The Faculty of Social Sciences, P.O. Box 7802, N-5020 Bergen, Norway.
The application has to be marked with: 2018/5774
The closing date is August 15, 2018
Applications sent by e-mail will not be evaluated.
We kindly ask the applicants to follow the guidelines for applicants to postdoctoral fellowships positions at the Faculty of Social Sciences closely. The guidelines are obtainable by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Head of Department, professor Leif Ove Larsen, phone 55584116, e-mail email@example.com
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to Senior Executive Officer Bodil Hægland, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or tel.+47 55 58 90 53.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineWednesday, August 15, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID153492
- Internal ID18/5774
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland