The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD position in marine geology
There is a vacancy for a PhD position in marine geology at the Department of Earth Science. The position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years with the possibility of a 4th year with compulsory other work (e.g. teaching duties in the department).
About the project/work tasks
The PhD position aims at increasing the understanding of the late Cenozoic sedimentary package deposited along the Norwegian continental margin. This will provide a background for enhanced knowledge of depositional environments, ice sheet dynamics and sedimentary processes (e.g. submarine slides and contourite formation) in this region. The successful candidate will analyze and interpret seismic data which will be combined with information from available sediment cores and bathymetric data.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or the equivalent in marine geology, or must have submitted his/her master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Broad experience from analysing and interpretation of seismic data and the use of seismic interpretation software (e.g. Petrel) is a requirement.
- Good knowledge of relevant sedimentary processes, glaciated margins and ice sheet dynamics is a requirement.
- Experience from analysing and interpreting bathymetric data and sediment cores is an advantage.
- Experience with the use of ArcGIS and software such as e.g. CorelDraw/Adobe Illustrator is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the PhD position
The fellowship will be for a period of 3 years, with the possibility for a 4th year, consisting of 25 % compulsory work (e.g. teaching responsibilities in the department) distributed across the employment period. The 4th year is contingent on the qualifications of the candidate and the teaching needs of the department, and will be decided upon appointment.
The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a qualifying post (e.g. research fellow, research assistant).
About the research training
As a PhD candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 50 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 8) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 436 900. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted
- relevant certificates/references
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
For further details about the position, please contact Professor Berit Oline Hjelstuen, Department of Earth Science, University of Bergen, email@example.com, +47 55 58 35 07.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about the employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineMonday, June 25, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID153212
- Internal ID18/5548
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland