The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Researcher in global marine biogeochemical modelling
There is a vacancy for a position as Researcher in global marine biogeochemical modelling at the Geophysical Institute and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research. The position is for a period 1,5 years and is associated with the EU H2020 project CRESCENDO and a Bjerknes Centre internal project (BIGCHANGE).
About the project/work tasks
The project work includes improvement of process descriptions in the marine biogeochemical module of the Norwegian Earth system model NorESM and evaluation of model runs with the coupled NorESM (past, present, Future). Contributions are expected on:
Improving the model representation of the carbon and nitrogen fluxes with special emphasis on the continental margins on a global scale.
Evaluating ocean biogeochemical results of model projections under present and future forcing.
Evaluating the mean physical changes and their impact on ocean biogeochemistry for the Pliocene relative to the preindustrial.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within oceanography, meteorology, physics, mathematics, biology, geology, or related fields, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the applications deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Candidates must have a strong background in marine biogeochemistry and climate modelling, and should have good knowledge of Earth system dynamics.
- Excellent skills are required in programming of complex numerical model code and performing simulations with general circulation models on super computers and analysis of observations as well as model data.
- Experience with the ocean biogeochemical model HAMOCC and with the Earth system model NorESM would be beneficial.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English is necessary.
- The candidate will work in a lively research environment and should have good team working skills while being proactive.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
We can offer:
A good and professionally challenging working environment
Salary at pay grade 57 (code 1109 / pay range 24, alternative 1) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 490 900. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered. Further promotions are made according to length of service.
Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
A position in an inclusive workplace (IW)
Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
The names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge
For further details about the position, please contact: Professor Christoph Heinze, Geophysical Institute, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: +47 97557119.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineFriday, June 15, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID152913
- Internal ID2018/5129
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland