The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD-position (3 years)
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Dentistry (IKO), a PhD-position (100 %) is available for a period of three (3) years.
The position is part of the project “Stem Cell Therapy for Bone Regeneration in Maxillofacial and Orthopaedic Surgery”, funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN). The project is closely connected to a large project financed by UIB, Bergen Research Foundation (BFS), Helse Vest and the EU Commission (H2020). The studies will be performed at the Department of Clinical Dentistry (IKO), UIB in collaboration with Haukeland University Hospital and other national and international partners.
Project and tasks
The dynamic mechanical environment in the body is an essential stimulus to drive cell growth. Therefore, the major aim of the project is to create a ‘cell factory’ bioreactor which improves both the growth rate and ultimate therapeutic effectiveness of cultured stem cells. The studies planned to be performed by the PhD candidate enrolled in the project is aimed to scale up regenerative cell therapies by introducing novel techniques such as mechano-culture to harness the physical environment, rather than biochemical factors to drive cell growth.
For further information, please contact Kamal Mustafa, e-mail: email@example.com / phone: +47 55 58 60 97
Qualifications and qualities
- Relevant Master’s Degree.
- Experience within the field biotechnology and bio-engineering, clinical translation and fundamental stem cell biology.
- Preferably have experience from relevant research projects using dynamic cell culture.
- It is desirable if the candidate has the experience on isolating and expansion of mesenchymal stem cells.
- fluent oral and written English.
- Personal skills will be emphasized; should be able to work independently and in teams.
- Responsible and motivation will be evaluated.
Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. The review from NOKUT may take some time and the application should be sent to NOKUT as soon as you have decided to apply for the position. If no answer within the application deadline, you may enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application.
Language qualifications: http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
Organized research training (PhD program)
The candidate must take part in the University of Bergen approved PhD programme leading to the degree within a time limit of 3 years. You must have admission to the organized research training (PhD program) at the Faculty in order to qualify for the position.
Application for admission to the PhD programme, including a project plan outline for the training plan must be submitted no later than three months after the date of commencement.
PhD-positions are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed in a PhD-position for
more than one fixed term period at the same institution or have had similar employment at an institution in the region.
We can offer
- Salary in accordance with level 50 (code 1017/pay framework 20.8), at present NOK 436 900 gross p.a on the government salary scale. For applicants with at least one year of employment in a position as a General Practitioner or Dentist level 52, at present NOK 451 300 gross p.a. Further increases in salary will be based on seniority in the position. For applicants with specialist education level 58 (code 1017/Pay framework 20.15), at present NOK 499 600 gross p.a.
- A good pension scheme in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
For more information regarding what the University of Bergen can offer its employees please visit: http://www.uib.no/en/poa/74243/what-can-university-bergen-offer-its-employees
Recruitment to state employment
State employment shall reflect the diversity of the population at large to the highest possible degree. The University of Bergen has therefore adopted a personnel policy objective to ensure that we achieve a balanced age and sex composition and the recruitment of persons of various ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities. Persons of different ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities are therefore encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at any given time.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public openness when recruiting staff to scientific positions. Information about the applicant may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if her/his request is not respected.
How to apply
Send your CV and application with enclosures via link on this side.The application must contain:
- a brief letter of application stating your motivation for the position, why you are applying and why the position is perfect for you
- certified copies of diplomas and transcripts of grades. Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. This may take some time and we recommend you to apply as soon as you know you will apply for this position. If no answer within the application deadline, please enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application. Documentation of language skills (English)
- complete list of publications and scientific work you want to be evaluated
- two referees (name and contact information)
Please send your application with attachments electronically via Jobbnorge by clicking on the button marked “Apply for this job”.
The applications will be sent electronically to the assessment committee. Please notice that the applications will be assessed only on the basis of information available in Jobbnorge when the deadline expires.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, June 3, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Place of serviceBergen
- Jobbnorge ID152625
- Internal ID18/5498
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Engineering Professions
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland