The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Two Postdoctoral Research Fellow positions within Marine Microbiology
At the Department of Biological Sciences (BIO) there is a vacancy for two postdoctoral research fellow positions in marine microbiology. Both positions are for a fixed term of 3 years with the possibility of up to additional 6 months. The research focus is on arctic marine microbiology and the positions are linked to our project portfolio, currently including The Nansen Legacy (http://nansenlegacy.org), HAVOC (a Norwegian partner in the MOSAiC campaign http://www.mosaicobservatory.org/) and AquaCosm (https://www.aquacosm.eu/).
The positions include project work relating to the following research tasks:
- Measurement of microbial biomass, abundance and activity.
- Assessment of bacterial and viral community composition and diversity.
- Experimental studies to reveal microbial food web structure and factors that control carbon flux and biogeochemical cycles.
The successful candidates are obliged to participate in several Arctic field campaigns (cruises, drift ice station, Svalbard), each having a duration of 1–3 months in 2019–2021. The work will also include specific tasks related to project administration, organisation of project meetings and transnational access to research infrastructures (Aquacosm). Teaching and supervision of bachelor and master students and PhD supervision may also be expected.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD within microbiology or an equivalent degree, or have submitted their doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Thorough understanding of marine microbial biogeochemical processes, microbial community dynamics and/or environmental virology demonstrated through a relevant publication record.
- Hands-on experience with common marine microbial methods including flow cytometry for counting bacteria, virus and phytoplankton and/or advanced knowledge in analyzing sequencing data of bacteria and/or viruses.
- Experience from Arctic fieldwork and cruises is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English
- Good command of the Norwegian language will be considered an advantage.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
When evaluating the applicants we will look for candidates with complimentary scientific skills and qualifications to cover all aspects of the described research activities.
Special requirements for the position: Ability to conduct fieldwork in Arctic areas and on cruises (Medical certificate and safety course required).
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow
The postdoctoral position is a fixed term position with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. If the appointee lacks teaching experience, or other relevant qualifications, the employment period may be increased to 3 years and up to additional 6 months. Teaching and other duties will in such cases be added to the position. The position may be extended by up to one year (maximum 4 years in total) if the appointee is granted externally financed research stays abroad. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
When entering the position the postdoctoral research fellow have to prepare a plan for the qualifying work in cooperation with the supervisor and head of department.
It is a requirement that the plan is followed and completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary at pay grade 57 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 1) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 490 900. Further promotions are made according to length of service.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IW)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas or official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge.
For further details about the position, please contact Professor Gunnar Bratbak, e-post:firstname.lastname@example.org / (+47) 55 58 26 58.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineWednesday, May 23, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID152353
- Internal ID2018/4818
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland