The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Researcher (molecular biology / bioinformatics)
At the Faculty of Medicine, Section of Oncology, Department of Clinical Science, a permanent full-time position as Researcher is available. The position is funded through a temporary four (4) year grant from the Norwegian Cancer Society and is part of the project “Uncovering the genetic causes of resistance to chemotherapy in breast cancer”.
About the project/work tasks
- The candidate to be hired will be employed at the Department of Clinical Science, in the research node headed by Senior Research Fellow Stian Knappskog, PhD. The group is closely affiliated with the Department of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital. While the group’s main emphasis is on laboratory programs in relation to translational research on breast cancer, we also have research programs in several other cancer types, including melanomas and colorectal cancer. Office space and lab facilities are located within the Mohn Cancer Research Laboratory. The laboratory is equipped for modern molecular cancer biology research, including next generation sequencing (NGS). There is an extensive program of ongoing experimental translational research, in close connection to ongoing clinical trials and patient tumor biopsies being analyzed in the lab. The new researcher will be in charge of the program on experimental research to identify mechanisms of resistance towards cancer therapy. The position suits a candidate with high personal ambitions.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The candidate must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within either experimental or translational genomic research.
- The candidate must have completed (at least) one period of work at the postdoctoral level within a related area and document skilled experience with methods of relevance.
- The candidate must have a substantial publication track record relative to the stage of his/her career.
- The candidate must have experience in managing large sample- and data sets based on cancer patients.
- The candidate must have experience in applied statistics (statistical method within translational cancer research).
- The candidate must have broad experience with experiments applying cell culture- and / or mouse models.
- The candidate must have experience in supervising students and technical staff.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English. Norwegian language skills will also be advantageous.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting:
Senior Research Fellow Stian Knappskog by email at email@example.com
You can learn more about our group at http://www.uib.no/fg/g18
We can offer
A good and challenging work environment
Starting salary will be found at level 59 - 62 (code 1109/salary scale 24.3 – 24.6), currently NOK 508 800 – 537 700 gross p.a. for a full time position; following ordinary meriting regulations. A pension contribution of 2 % will be deducted and deposited to the state pension scheme
A good pension scheme in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Inclusive workplace (IW)
Good welfare benefits
For more information regarding what the University of Bergen can offer its employees please visit:
The following premises are valid for this Researcher position
The Researcher will be a member of the research group of which the topic/project belongs to
The salary shall if possible be 100% covered by external financing
The Researcher shall actively contribute to attract external funding to the research project, both for her/his own position and other positions, from the Research Council of Norway, EU and other sources
The Researcher is expected to have her/his research activity financed by the project of the researcher and the projects of the associated research group
The Head of Department may allocate work for the Researcher related to specific research projects
The Researcher may participate in committee work and other administrative tasks within UiB
The Researcher has no teaching duties, but is expected to supervise master and PhD students when this is a natural part of the research activity of the research group.
The Researcher may apply for competence promotion according to the regulations for promotions
Recruitment to state employment
State employment shall reflect the multiplicity of the population at large to the highest possible degree. The University of Bergen has therefore adopted a personnel policy objective to ensure that we achieve a balanced age and sex composition and the recruitment of persons of various ethnic backgrounds. Persons of different ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities are therefore encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public openness when recruiting staff to scientific positions. Information about the applicant may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if their request is not respected.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at any time.
You send your application with attachments electronically via Jobbnorge by clicking on the button marked “apply for this job”.
The application must include:
a brief letter of application stating your motivation for the position, why you are applying and why this position is perfect for you
an overview of your education and work experience (CV)
witnessed copies of diplomas and relevant certificates (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations)
publications and academic work (max 10) and a list of these
two referees (name and contact information)
The applications with attachments are sent electronically to the expert committee.
Please note that the applications will be forwarded to a committee with the information and attachments uploaded in Jobbnorge at closing date.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, June 3, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Place of serviceBergen
- Jobbnorge ID151874
- Internal ID18/4737
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland