The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
At the Department of Information Science and Media Studies in the University of Bergen, there is a vacancy for a four year position as a Ph.D. stipendiate in information science with focus on ICT-tools for journalism. The stipendiate is associated with the research group for Semantic and Social Information Systems (SSIS).
About the project/work tasks:
The Ph.D. position is part of the NewsAngler project, which is a collaboration between UiB and Wolftech Broadcast Solutions in Bergen. The stipendiate will collaborate within the cross-disciplinary project group and with Wolftech on developing and evaluating new types of ICT-support for journalistic work based on, among other things, semantic technologies, social media, and big data.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Master's degree in information science, information systems, informatics, computer science or similar. The applicant must have submitted his/her master’s thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master’s degree has been awarded.
- The requirements are generally grade B or better on the Master thesis and for the Master degree in total
- Excellent capacity and enthusiasm for research. As an applicant you should be able to work independently and have the ability to cooperate with others
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
- Good command of the Norwegian language is an advantage
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
About the PhD position
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position.
About the research training:
As a PhD research fellow you will take part in the doctoral educational programme at UiB. The programme corresponds to three years of full time work and leads to the submission of the PhD dissertation. To be eligible for admission you must have completed a Master’s degree. The educational background must be equivalent to a five-year Master’s education, including a two-year Master’s degree and a Master thesis. It is expected that the topic of the Master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (17.515/Code 1017/ 20.8) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 436 900.- per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
A research outline of 5-8 pages should accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. Admittance to the PhD-programme will be based on the research proposal.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project outline
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications
If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The application has to be marked: 18/2239
Closing date: March 15th 2018
Applications submitted without a project outline and applications sent as e-mails may not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting professor Andreas L. Opdahl, email: email@example.com or phone: +47 5558 4140 / + 47 9767 5264.
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to HR senior officer firstname.lastname@example.org ; phone +47 5558 9056.
The appointed stipendiate will be admitted to the doctoral education program at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Further information about the program is available on the web page http://www.uib.no/en/svf/37940/doctoral-education. Questions about the program may be directed to senior officer Hanne Gravermoen, e-mail: email@example.com, phone: +47 55 58 90 68.
The teaching language will usually be Norwegian.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineMonday, April 9, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID148369
- Internal ID18/2239
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland