The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
At the Department of Information Science and Media Studies in the University of Bergen, there is a vacancy for a two year position as a Post-Doctor in information science with focus on ICT-tools for journalism. The Post-Doc is associated with the research group for Semantic and Social Information Systems (SSIS).
About the project/work tasks
The Post-Doctor position is part of the NewsAngler project, which is a collaboration between UiB and Wolftech Broadcast Solutions in Bergen. The Post-Doc will collaborate within the cross-disciplinary project group and with Wolftech on developing and evaluating new types of ICT-support for journalistic work based on, among other things, semantic technologies, social media, and big data.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within information science, information systems, informatics, computer science or similar, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English.
- A good command of the Norwegian language is an advantage.
Potential candidates will be invited to an interview, and might be asked to hold a trial lecture in a given topic.
Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the teaching and research profile at the Department.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 2 year. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
A research proposal of 4-5 pages should accompany the application. The proposal should contain a progress plan for the different parts of the research work, as well as a plan regarding publishing. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
A budget must be set up for operating expenses.
We can offer:
A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 57(code 1352) on the government salary scale upon appointment (equivalent to NOK 490 900.- to 517 700.- per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references.
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The application has to be marked: 18/2240
The closing date is March 15th 2018
Applications sent by e-mail will not be evaluated. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting professor Andreas L. Opdahl, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: +47 5558 4140 / + 47 9767 5264..
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to HR senior officer email@example.com ; phone +47 5558 9056
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the doctoral education program at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Further information about the program is available on the webpage http://www.uib.no/en/svf/37940/doctoral-education. Questions about the program may be directed to senior officer Hanne Gravermoen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +47 55 58 90 68.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineMonday, April 9, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID148365
- Internal ID18/2240
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland