The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of Social Anthropology within the Norwegian Research Foundation-funded project “Enclaving: Patterns of global futures in three African cities (ENCLAVING)”.
About the project/work tasks:
- The PhD research fellow will work as part of ENCLAVING—a large four-year research project, funded by the Norwegian Research Council based at the Department of Social Anthropology, University of Bergen. Professor Bjørn Enge Bertelsen is the principal investigator for this project. Focusing on the metropolitan cities of Accra, Maputo and Johannesburg, the aim of the project is to produce new and empirically supported knowledge on the globally relevant phenomenon of enclaving, i.e. the unequal distribution of urban resources based on the production of separated spaces. In Africa this is producing radically new forms of urban spatial and social differentiation and the project explores how enclaving a) impacts and shapes heterogeneous patterns of urban housing, b) relates to dynamics of inequality, and c) is integral to cultural orientations which are generative and transformative of the urban order. Its three underlying questions are:
How does enclaving work through housing practices of various scales?
How does enclaving shape social understandings and the managing of urban inequality in terms of gendered entrepreneurship, household dynamics or sexual and intimate practices?
How does enclaving inform the way people reimagine themselves as members of urban societies?
Being a collaborative project with academic partners from South Africa, Ghana Mozambique and Germany, the PhD Research Fellow will be expected to a) carry out fieldwork in and undertake research on material from Accra, Maputo and/or Johannesburg, and b) work actively with partners and the principal investigator within the project. ENCLAVING runs from October 2018 to end September 2022 and the four-year employment period of the PhD Research Fellow is expected to fully overlap with the project period. Potential applicants may contact the principal investigator for further details.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Master's degree or the equivalent in Social Anthropology or other relevant area. The degree has to be completed by the application deadline.
- The requirements are generally grade B or better on the Master’s thesis and for the Master’s degree in total
- Desired (but not required) qualifications include a) research experience from the cities of Accra, Johannesburg and/or Maputo, b) relevant experience from African urban contexts or c) relevant linguistic competence
- As an applicant you should be able to work independently and have the ability to cooperate with others
- The applicant must be willing to work with the principal investigator in carrying out the research project and to participate in the organisation of research activities and events, such as conferences, workshops, joint publications, and other dissemination work
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in person or by Skype.
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position.
About the research training:
As a PhD research fellow you will take part in the doctoral educational programme at UiB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the submission of the PhD dissertation. To be eligible for admission you must have completed a Master’s degree. The educational background must be equivalent to a five-year Master’s education, including a two-year Master’s degree and a Master thesis. It is expected that the topic of the Master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 436.900 per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. A budget of running costs should be included. Admittance to the PhD programme will be based on the research proposal.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
- If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The application has to be marked: 18/2213
Closing date: April 3, 2018
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Professor Bjørn Enge Bertelsen, phone +47 55 58 93 22, e-mail Bjorn.Bertelsen@uib.no
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to Senior Executive Officer Anita Helen Spurkeland, phone +47 55 58 90, e-mail Anita.Spurkeland@uib.no
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the doctoral education program at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Further information about the program is available on the webpage http://www.uib.no/en/svf/37940/doctoral-education. Questions about the program may be directed to Senior Executive Officer Hanne Gravermoen, phone +47 55 58 90 68, e-mail Hanne.Gravermoen@uib.no
The teaching language will usually be Norwegian.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineTuesday, April 3, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID148244
- Internal ID2018/2213
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland