The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (Sars Centre) is situated at the Marineholmen campus together with other research institutes at the University. The Sars Centre is partner with European Molecular Biological Laboratory (EMBL) in Heidelberg, Germany and is organized directly under the Rector at UiB.
ERC-funded postdoctoral-grade Research Fellow (m/f) in Comparative genomics/Single-cell transcriptomics of animals
A 2-year Research fellow position (code 1109) is available at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (www.sars.no), in the research group headed by Andreas Hejnol. The position is within the project “Comparative genomics and single-cell transcriptomics”. The position is funded in the framework of the ERC Consolidator Grant “EVOMESODERM – The evolution of mesoderm and its differentiation into cell types and organ systems” (http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/197107_en.html) awarded to Dr. Andreas Hejnol.
About project/work tasks:
The project will be conducted at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (Bergen, Norway) in the group “Comparative Developmental Biology of Animals” of Dr. Andreas Hejnol. The Hejnol group studies a broad range of mainly marine invertebrates using genomic, embryological, and advanced microscopic and molecular methods. The successful candidate will analyze available de-novo sequenced genomes (PAC-Bio and Hi-C) and Single-Cell transcriptomes of marine invertebrates from a comparative and developmental perspective. The project is also in close relationship with project within two MSC Innovative Training Networks EvoCELL (https://www.evocell-itn.eu) and IGNITE (http://www.itn-ignite.eu).
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a PhD or equivalent degree or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Strong motivation to perform research at an internationally competitive level.
- Experience in a programming language (e.g. C/C++/Perl, Python) and proficiency in shell scripting in a Unix environment is required.
- Previous experience in genome analyses and a good background in evolutionary biology and developmental biology is of advantage.
- Ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with others in a structured manner.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Good career perspectives through intersectoral networking through the affiliation with two Innovative Training Networks comprising more than 20 research labs in Europe and four innovative companies
- Salary at pay grade 57 upon appointment (Code 1109), currently NOK 490.900 gross p.a. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must be in English and include:
- A cover letter that includes a brief account of the applicant's research interests and the statement of motivation for applying for the position
- List of publications
- The names and contact information for two references
- Transcripts and diplomas and an official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
The application and appendices with certified translations into English must be uploaded at Jobbnorge. "Apply for this job". Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Closing date for application: 01 June 2018
Further information about the position and project can be obtained from Group Leader Dr. Andreas Hejnol, email email@example.com.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineFriday, June 1, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID147843
- Internal ID2018/1711 - Hejnol
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland