The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Fellow in U-series dating and archaeometry
There is a vacancy for a four-year postdoctoral fellow position at the SapienCE Centre of Excellence and at the Department of Earth Science, within the area of Uranium- series geochronology as applied to archaeological sites and cave deposits. The successful applicant will have responsibility for performing U- series dating on archaeological sites and adjacent caves in South Africa.
About the project/Work tasks
The Centre for Early Sapiens Behaviour (SapienCE) is a new Centre of Excellence (CoE) funded by the Research Council of Norway and located in the Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion at the University of Bergen (UiB). SapienCE aims to consolidate UiB and Norway's position as a world leader in early human origins research. The centre combines expertise in archaeology, psychology, neuroscience, climatology and geochronology in order to elucidate the cognitive development of Homo sapiens through time and climatic change. The two central chronological tools available are optically stimulated luminescence (OSL) and Uranium-series dating. Consequently, the Uranium-series and ICP-MS laboratories at the Department of Earth Science will play a pivotal role in pinning archaeological and climatic events on a rigorous time-scale. The Postdoctoral Fellow will primarily be located in these laboratories.
The position will involve:
Field sampling in relevant caves and archaeological deposits
Managing the U-series preparation laboratory and the ICP-MS applications
Generating U-series dates
Improving the technique and its applications to archaeological and environmental problems.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- The applicant must either hold a PhD within applied geochronology or archaeometry or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Proven and relevant research experience within U-series geochronology on cave deposits.
- Documented hands-on experience and technical skills on ICP-MS (PIMS) measurement of U- series isotopes on speleothem and calcrete, preferably on a NU Plasma instrument.
- Experience of improving chemical and mass spectrometric methodologies.
- The ability to work independently and in a structured manner and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English.
- Documented skills in laser-ablation ICP-MS and application of Pb-U dating on Quaternary materials.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
As the position involves fieldwork in caves, documentation of sufficient physical skills (caving) are preferred.
About the position of postdoctoral fellow:
The position of postdoctoral fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is four years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises required duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral fellow at the same institution.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work. The project proposal must be prepared in cooperation with the project manager/supervisor and must also include a schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 57 (code 1352/ pay range 24, alternative 1) in the state salary scale upon appointment. This currently amounts to an annual salary of NOK 490 500. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits.
The application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references.
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Stein-Erik Lauritzen, Department of Earth Science, phone: +47 55 58 3508, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
About this job
- DeadlineFriday, March 2, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID147765
- Internal ID18/544
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland