The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
At The Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biomedicine, a full-time (100%) position as Postdoctoral Fellow is available for a period of 3 years. The position is part of the project ”Cellular Mechanisms for the Malignant Exploitation of the Altered Metabolic Landscape in Obese Hormone Receptor Negative Breast Cancer”, financed by The Norwegian Research Council.
Epidemiological evidence indicates that obesity is a significant driver of cancer development and progression. While the epidemiological connection is strong, the challenge remains to identify specific cellular and molecular drivers of obesity-linked tumors. To this end, this project will apply unbiased systemic in-vivo screens in mice combined with validation in established BioBank material.
The candidate will be the main driver of this project. This includes using and developing in vivo-based pooled loss-of-function screens (shRNA, CRISPR, CRISPRi) to determine cellular mechanisms of obesity-induced cancers in the functional tumor microenvironment.
Qualifications and qualities
- The candidate must hold a PhD-degree or submitted their doctoral dissertation for evaluation within the closing date of the application in the field of systems cancer research and/or other system biology oriented research fields. It is a condition for the appointment that the dissertation is approved.
- The candidate ideally has experience with either in vivo or in vitro loss-of-function screening methodologies (both at the level of the wet lab and the downstream computational analysis)
- Mouse handling experience is a plus, but not a requirement.
- The candidate should be fluent in spoken and written English.
- Personal skills will be emphasized. The candidate should be able to work independently and interactively in a team setting, be motivated and responsible, and also have a great work capacity and enthusiasm for research
We can offer
- A good and challenging work environment (lab website: www.halberg-lab.com).
- Salary level 57 (code 1352/pay framework 24.1) at present NOK 490 900 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 59 (code 1352/pay framework 24.3) at present NOK 508 800 gross p.a., with a medical specialization level 61 (code 1352/pay framework 24.5) at present NOK 527 500 gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position. A pension contribute of 2 % will be deducted and deposited to the state pension scheme.
- A good pension scheme in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Inclusive workplace (IW)
- Good welfare benefits
For more information regarding what the University of Bergen can offer its employees please visit: http://www.uib.no/en/poa/74243/what-can-university-bergen-offer-its-employees
For further information about the recruitment process, click here
About postdoctoral fellowships
In general, the purpose of postdoctoral positions at the University of Bergen is the building of competence by means of further development of research work to a higher level than what is possible within an ordinary PhD program.The main goals of the positions are to qualify the successful candidate for professional top positions.
Applicants shall put forward a proposal for a project for qualifying work. The proposal shall include a progress plan. It is a premise that the selected candidate will complete the project within the stipulated period of employment. Leaves of absence for other purposes than those laid down by law are normally not granted.
The employee may be assigned up to 25 % required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions.You cannot be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also,you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Recruitment to state employment
State employment shall reflect the multiplicity of the population at large to the highest possible degree. The University of Bergen has therefore adopted a personnel policy objective to ensure that we achieve a balanced age and sex composition and the recruitment of persons of various ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities. Persons of different ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities are therefore encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at any time.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public openness when recruiting staff to scientific positions. Information about the applicant may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if their request is not respected.
How to apply
You send your application with attachments electronically via “Jobbnorge” by clicking on the button marked “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”.
The application must contain:
- a brief letter of application stating your motivation for the position and why you are applying
- witnessed copies of diplomas and relevant certificates (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations)
- complete list of publications
- publications (pdf) It is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- two referees (name and contact information)
The applications will be sent electronically to the assessment committee.
Please notice that the applications will be assessed only with the information available in “Jobbnorge” when the deadline expires. It is the applicant`s responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, February 4, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Place of serviceBergen
- Jobbnorge ID146306
- Internal ID18/164
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland