The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (Sars Centre) is situated at the Marineholmen campus together with other research institutes at the University. The Sars Centre is partner with European Molecular Biological Laboratory (EMBL) in Heidelberg, Germany and is organized directly under the Rector at UiB.
Facility Department Engineer at the Sars Centre (avdelingsingeniør, kode 1085)
A permanent full-time position as Facility Department Engineer is available in the Chatzigeorgiou Group animal facility at the Sars Centre. The position has a desired start date of March 2018 and the technician will work in the planktonic Ciona intestinalis culture facility (Ascidian) at the Sars Centre.
The main responsibilities will be to build and run one Artificial Sea Water based system and to upgrade with sensor networks the two Natural Sea Water systems for the rearing of wild type and transgenic Ciona intestinalis animals. Further responsibilities include the daily running of the facility and organising and performing animal collection field trips from the Bergen area to populate the natural sea water systems on regular basis (approximately every two weeks). Tasks include programming, electronics building, feeding and breeding of the animals, maintenance and culture of algae feed stocks, building and maintenance of equipment, periodic field work, as well as aiding the scientific staff in project-related collection and manipulation of animals. The position may also be involved in providing technical support to other facilities at Sars. Some week-end and holiday duties are required and will be compensated for according to UiB regulations. The working languages are English and Norwegian.
- Ability to perform construction and electronics work related to small engineering projects is required
- Knowledge and practical experience on how to build electrical circuits using Arduino and RasberryPi as well as other COTS based parts is required
- Prior experience with maintaining animal facilities, algae and/or zooplankton cultures, is desirable
- Reliable work habits, cleanliness and the ability to interact productively with scientific personnel are essential requirements
- General interest in aquatic life and animal care is desirable
- A relevant bachelor level engineering degree or equivalent qualifications based on education and professional experience. Extensive and relevant practice combined with relevant formal training may compensate for insufficient formal education
- The applicant must be able to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in English.
- A challenging position with varied work tasks in an internationally acknowledged scientific environment.
- Salary as Facility Department Engineer (“Avdelingsingeniør) from grade level 43-52 (code 1085/LR22, alternative 8) based on a formal assessment of civil service seniority and qualifications. Currently equal to NOK 392.100-451.300. A higher salary can be considered for exceptionally qualified applicants.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens pensjonskasse, SPK).
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits.
Application in English or Norwegian
Application must include:
- Application letter stating your motivation for the position and why you feel you are a good candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
Please send your application via the link "Søk stillingen" referred to at the www.jobbNorge.no website and note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail will not be considered.
Application Deadline: 31 January 2018
For further information about the position please contact Group Leader Marios Chatzigeorgiou, tel +47 55 58 43 58, email: Marios.Chatzigeorgiou@uib.no.
UiB is an organization that particularly must be adaptive to changing conditions and requirements. Consequently, the person employed must be prepared to see tasks changed.
The State sector staff shall to the extent possible reflect the diversity in the population at large. The state personnel policies aim at a balanced age and gender composition and recruit people with immigrant background. People with immigrant background or reduced work capacity are encouraged to apply for the position.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that at any given time apply to the position.
About this job
- DeadlineWednesday, January 31, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID145477
- Internal ID2017/14957 - Chatzigeorgiou
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland