The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of information science and media studies in computational journalism. The position is placed within the new facilities at Media City Bergen (MCB).
About the project/work tasks:
As society’s infrastructure is digitized our data and knowledge are transformed into databases and information systems. In order to ensure scrutiny of these databases and systems we need journalists that are not only capable of using them; but also have the capacity to develop and analyse such systems. A key motivator for computational journalism has been the race to keep analytics up with data too big to analyse manually. Computer technology has become a necessary element in journalism and technological expertise is now a central part of journalistic processing of source material.
We seek a candidate that can strengthen the institutes’ research on computational journalism, understood as the development and use of information technologies in the collection; analysis and dissemination of (big) data for journalistic purposes, and the analysis of such systems in a journalistic context. Relevant research tropics include human-computer interaction, quantitative methods, crowdsourcing, data mining, data visualization, media design, algorithmic accountability, information retrieval, artificial intelligence and natural language processing.
This PhD-position shall strengthen the research activity within journalism and technology at the institute at Media City Bergen. The position will contribute to the dialogue and collaboration between the university’s research and teaching activities and the media businesses at MCB, through arrangements of workshops, seminars, etc. The position includes teaching responsibilities.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master's degree in information science, media studies or journalism or equivalent competence or must have submitted his/her master’s thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master’s degree has been awarded.
- Experience in research on media- and communication technology is wanted
- Experience in programming (e.g.: java, python, r, php, c, ES6) is wanted
- As an applicant you should be able to work independently and have the ability to cooperate with others
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position.
About the research training:
As a PhD research fellow you will take part in the doctoral educational programme at UoB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the submission of the PhD dissertation. To be eligible for admission you must have completed a Master’s degree. The educational background must be equivalent to a five-year Master’s education, including a two-year Master’s degree and a Master thesis. It is expected that the topic of the Master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 436 900 per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
A research proposal of 3-5 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. A budget of running costs should be included. Admittance to the PhD-programme will be based on the research proposal.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The application has to be marked: 17/14565
Closing date: January 15, 2018
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Head of department Leif Ove Larsen, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org phone + 47 55 58 41 16.
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to senior officer Bodil Hægland, phone +47 55 58 90 53, e-mail: email@example.com.
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the doctoral education program at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Further information about the program is available on the webpage http://www.uib.no/en/svf/37940/doctoral-education. Questions about the program may be directed to senior officer Hanne Gravermoen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +47 55 58 90 68.
The teaching language will usually be Norwegian.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineMonday, January 15, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID145283
- Internal ID17/14565
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland