The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
ARENA Centre for European Studies is a research centre under the Faculty of Social Sciences. ARENA promotes theoretically oriented, empirically informed studies analysing the dynamics of the evolving European political order. The research at ARENA is multidisciplinary and is organised along four key dimensions: A European democratic order; the EU's executive order; expertise and knowledge in the EU; and European foreign and security policy. ARENA hosts several nationally and internationally funded research projects and is engaged in a series of international networks.
Senior Researcher or Researcher in European Studies
A permanent position as Senior Researcher (SKO 1183) or Researcher (SKO 1109) in European Studies is available at ARENA Centre for European Studies.
The position is on the relationship between knowledge and democracy in a transforming Europe. It is announced within ARENA’s main research fields, in particular the Research Council of Norway-funded REFLEX project.
ARENA is a highly renowned centre for research on the transformation of Europe, in particular on the processes of political change. It aims at theoretically founded and innovative research. ARENA offers a stimulating intellectual environment for cooperation and scholarly debate. A staff of well-qualified and committed scholars ensures that the aims are achieved. The centre and its research projects have received excellent evaluations. The working language at ARENA is English.
- The candidate appointed will be expected to actively participate in the ongoing research at ARENA as well as contribute to further developing the research agenda.
- The successful candidate is expected to, in a long-term perspetive, also secure new funding for future work.
- High quality international publications, active participation in the relevant research group(s) and collaboration within ARENA.
- Senior Researcher: PhD or equivalent academic qualifications in a relevant discipline within the social sciences. To be appointed as Senior Researcher the candidate must fulfill criteria for professorship (please see Scientific Qualification Requirements for Promotion to Professor- refer only to scientific qualifications).
- Researcher: PhD or equivalent academic qualifications in a relevant discipline within the social sciences.
- Good command of English, both oral and written
The candidate must be able to work both in a team and independently, using own initiative. Also, strong organizational and project management skills are considered an advantage.
Applicants must have the capacity to carry out independent academic work at a high level, documented through publications in peer-reviewed international journals. ARENA seeks to attract qualified researchers who are motivated by the research agenda of the centre, in particular as set out in the REFLEX project.
- salary NOK 661 700 - 938 700 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Senior Researcher
- salary NOK 517 700 - 722 400 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Researcher
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include:
- application letter including a statement of motivation which summarizes scientific work and states research interests, theoretical perspectives, aims for future research and publication strategies (3-5 pages)
- CV (complete list of education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience, project acquisition and coordination experience, and other qualifying activities)
- a complete list of publications
- Submission of 5-7 academic works
- Copy of PhD diploma
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “apply for this job”. Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
The basis for the assessment of the applicant will include the academic credentials, scientific production and quality, formal qualifications and statement of motivation. In the evaluation of the qualified candidates the full range of these criteria will be explicitly addressed and assessed. Particular weight will be attached to qualifications that are central to the job description.
Interviews will be part of the appointment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
Deadline: 15 February 2018
- Research Director Erik Oddvar Eriksen
Telephone: +47 22858870
- Administrative Director Tara Sarin
Telephone: +47 22858710
About this job
- DeadlineThursday, February 15, 2018
- EmployerUniversity of Oslo
- Jobbnorge ID144115
- Internal ID2017/12691
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Oslo
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Public Services / Administration
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Oslo