The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD position in Multivariate Algorithms
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at Department of Informatics (www.uib.no/en/ii), University of Bergen within Algorithms Group. The position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years and is subject to external financing via NFR MULTIVAL project.
About the project/work tasks:
The project concerns establishing multivariate algorithms as the standard approach to algorithm design and analysis. The work on of the candidate will involve the study and development of parameterized algorithms and complexity.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or the equivalent in Computer Science, Mathematics or Physics, or must have submitted his/her master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Experience from Algorithms, Combinatorics, Probabilty, Machine Learning and Statistics is a strong advantage
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English
About the PhD position
The duration of the PhD position is 3 years. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a PhD position.
About the research training
As a PhD Candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 50 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 8) in the state salary scale. Further promotions are made according to qualifications and length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two references. One of these is preferable the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted
- relevant certificates/references
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Closing date for applications: 15 November 2017
For further details about the position, please contact: Professor Fedor Fomin, e-mail: Fedor.Fomin@uib.no
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about the employment process can be found here.
About this job
- DeadlineWednesday, November 15, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID143360
- Internal ID2017/12479
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland