The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in clumped isotope paleoceanography
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position at the Department of Earth Science within clumped isotope thermometry in marine sediments. The position is for a period of 3 years and is associated with the CLIP project, financed by the Bergen Research Foundation (BFS) and the C4T project, financed by the European Research Council (ERC). Starting date for the position is 1 January 2018.
Clumped isotope thermometry is a novel geochemical tool to reconstruct past temperatures. In our lab in Bergen we are specifically applying this method to benthic and planktonic foraminifera in order to reconstruct past surface and deep ocean temperatures. Our state-of-the-art laboratory hosts two Thermo Fisher MAT253Plus instruments coupled to Kiel IV carbonate preparation devices. The postdoctoral fellow will be part of a team consisting of 2 PhD students and 2 Postdocs, led by Dr. Nele Meckler. Initial work of the group has focused on ground-truthing aspects including improvement of the calibration for foraminifera, and assessment of the effects of diagenetic alteration. Over the next few years, we will continue working on minimizing sample size requirements, while focusing on applying the proxy to marine sediments from various locations and time intervals, including the Pliocene (main focus of the CLIP project) and older Cenozoic intervals (with the C4T project).
We are looking for someone with hands-on experience in isotope geochemistry and foraminifera taxonomy, preferably with a background in Pliocene or earlier Cenozoic paleoclimate.
- Improving clumped isotope thermometry for small carbonate samples
- Sample preparation and clumped isotope mass spectrometry
- Co-supervision of master students
- Data interpretation in collaboration with climate modelers
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within Earth Science or a related discipline or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The applicant should have hands-on experience in isotope geochemistry.
- Prior experience with clumped isotope thermometry would be an advantage.
- The applicant should have good knowledge of foraminifera taxonomy, preferably from Pliocene or older Cenozoic time intervals.
- The applicant should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- The applicant should be proficient in both written and oral English.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 3 years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. For postdoctoral research fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of the project proposal for the qualifying work will take place in consultation with the project/centre manager. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 57 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 1) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 486 100,-. Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IW)
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- relevant certificates/references
- list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Dr. Nele Meckler, Department of Earth Science, Tel. +47 55 583530, email@example.com
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
About this job
- DeadlineTuesday, October 31, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID143145
- Internal ID17/12067
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland