The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD position within molecular biology/cellular biology and molecular simulations
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at Department of Molecular Biology, University of Bergen within the fields of molecular biology, cell biology and molecular simulations. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years. The PhD candidate will work in a multidisciplinary environment in both the groups of Associate Professor Aurélia E. Lewis and Professor Nathalie Reuter, benefiting from the environment and infrastructures of the Department of Molecular Biology and of the Computational Biology Unit.
About the project/work tasks
The project aims to explore the functional impact of lipids-protein interactions at the cellular level by using both bioinformatics and molecular approaches. The focus will be on proteins that we have previously identified by lipid interactomics. These proteins are known to contribute to different processes and cellular functions while being localised in different sub-cellular compartments. Using both modelling and molecular/cellular methods, the project will hence decipher how lipid interaction can anchor these proteins to membranes and regulate their functions.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- The applicant must hold a master's degree or equivalent in molecular biology, biochemistry or within molecular life sciences at large, or must have submitted his/her master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- The applicant must have experience from mammalian cell work, expression and purification of recombinant proteins, documented knowledge in lipid biochemistry.
- The applicant must have documented knowledge of molecular modelling and molecular simulations. Hands-on experience of molecular simulations of protein-lipid interactions will be an advantage.
- It is an advantage for the applicant to have experience in biophysical techniques such as surface plasmon resonance, ITC and/or fluorescence spectrometry.
- The applicant must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others and to work in interdisciplinary research groups.
- The applicant must be proficient in both written and oral English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the PhD position
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises required duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a recruitment position.
About the research training
As a PhD Candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer
- a good and professionally challenging working environment.
- salary at pay grade 50 (code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 8) in the state salary scale. Further promotions are made according to qualifications and length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- good welfare benefits.
Your application must include
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis.
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- relevant certificates/references
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Associate professor Aurélia E. Lewis email@example.com, +47-55584521 or Professor Nathalie Reuter firstname.lastname@example.org, +47-55584040.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineThursday, November 2, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID143075
- Internal ID2017/11420
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland